Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on recent Dyna forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 AM
bfoster613
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2011 FXDC that I added the Harley Forward Controls too. It did take a couple of rides to get used to them. But is was a great improvement for me.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Originally Posted by RRose13886
I have a 2010 FXDF with the forward controls. Not sure of the demension difference from my bike to yours. But, I'm only 5'8" and a 30" inseam. I love the forward controls and never feel like I'm not in control. Actually sometimes when I'm cruising at a good speed for a stretch ( I live in Long Island) I feel like I'd like them to be forward another inch or two. I have had bikes with the mids. But the forwards are much much better.
Same height/inseam here. No problem with the forward controls on my Wide Glide. They're actually very comfortable. I've always preferred forward controls, even though I'm kinda short.

There are women, a bit shorter, who ride Dyna bikes with forward controls just fine.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

yes, standard hd fowards on my 5'8" with 30" inseam, at first I was pulling myself foward because I was moving around on the stock seat that is really made for a bigger bottom than I have so I purchased a Danny Gray big seat that works wonders and very comfortable.
Love them fowards, got used to them on my last 07 XL1200C.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 AM
force49r
Tourer

I'm 6'3..36in instead. Wish they were about an inch or so longer. Could've went with extended forwards but I didn't want to be way out there to much.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 AM
STREETWALKER
Cruiser

I'm a little over 6' and had the dealer install the standard forwards on with the heel rests. I also had a fat boy (02) and really got used to the floor boards. I actually find myself wishing to move back a couple of inches on the freeway. Current bike is 11 street bob. I also would like to bring the heel rests up a little for ground clearance on corners. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike and Richard-thanks for the info on the reduced reach forward control kit-that right there looks like it might just do it! As everyone knows, getting comfortable on a bike is a game of small numbers-sometimes a little helps a lot. I bought this SG last fall as a second bike because it was the cheapest big twin I could find and I got a great deal on it-cheaper than I could find a used bike for. I've come to love the bike but it's costing me a small fortune getting it to fit me. I didn't think I was that weird size wise.

As far as the Harley mini floorboard kit, does anyone think they would have an advantage (bigger) than these Kurys, with or without the stirrups?

Also, the JP Cycles mini floorboards #5500095 look even better, but will they work with forwards? Wonder if any of these interfere with ground clearance?

Does anyone with forwards feel like they have to keep their feet pushed down to stay on the pegs or mini-boards? With my Fatboy boards my boots just kinda lay on them.

I really appreciate all the help guys.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Piratebonz
Advanced

Dondee,

I have the same bike and am the same size as you also. I put the HD forward controls <P/N 49080-06A> on mine and it was a little weird for a few rides, but I quickly adjusted. now i am very comfy with them and glad I did it, other than the skimpy little brake pedal pad in the HD kit, which I'm currently looking to replace with something wider.

During a recent dealer test ride event, one of the bikes I rode was another `11 FXDC with the standard control positions and boy does it it feel awkward now!

The only other thing I would do to mine now in regards to this issue is when I replace the seat next year, I will look for one that moves me forward a little, no more than an inch. My inseam is 31 btw.

happy riding, stay safe
David

Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piratebonz
Dondee,

I have the same bike and am the same size as you also. I put the HD forward controls <P/N 49080-06A> on mine and it was a little weird for a few rides, but I quickly adjusted. now i am very comfy with them and glad I did it, other than the skimpy little brake pedal pad in the HD kit, which I'm currently looking to replace with something wider.

During a recent dealer test ride event, one of the bikes I rode was another `11 FXDC with the standard control positions and boy does it it feel awkward now!

The only other thing I would do to mine now in regards to this issue is when I replace the seat next year, I will look for one that moves me forward a little, no more than an inch. My inseam is 31 btw.

happy riding, stay safe
David
Hey David that's what I was hoping to hear, that you'll get used to it.

Your inseam is a little longer than mine (mine is 29-ish) but I think I'll go with that reduced reach forward kit that Mike and Richard said just came out. That 1" should do it for me.

As far as a seat that moves you forward about an inch you might want to have a look at the Mustang Vintage Wide Touring #75535. I put one on and not only is it comfortable but it moves you forward about exactly an inch.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM
tscreener
Tourer

I had a hard time getting the forward possition comfortable tried flamming switch blades they where beter but still had problems on longer rides. I kept the mid control mounts and the forward mounts and made a set of floorboards, now i can move my legs around.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm 5'10" and 31" inseam. When i first got my forwards i felt a little stretched. When i replaced the stock seat with my Mustang seat it moved me forward about an inch and the forwards are now perfect.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on recent Dyna forward controls