Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Street Bob fender replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cracked Street Bob fender replacement?

Ok, I have seen a few threads on here about the cracked Street Bob fenders etc. Well my wifes 2010 Street Bob of course did the same thing. Actually got really bad on a recent trip..

Well I rode it down to the HD shop yesterday so they could check it out and order the new fender. (I had already called and was told it was warrenty covered).

The service manager did not give me a good warm and fuzzy...AT ALL!!.

He said this was the second one in a week he was having to order. He flat out told me that he didnt know if the replacement fender was going to be any better. He didnt know if Harley had actually fixed the problem or not, or was just sending the same type faulty fender.

Now she sets and waits for the replacement to come in so we can take it back up there and get it put on...

So, who has gotten their replacement in and is it more solid or just the same as the other one?

I really would hate to have to get this stupid thing replaced every 12K miles.....

Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Feel for ya. Maybe before the replacement is installed you can visually compare the two fenders for any improvement to design. If it's the same design, maybe (just thinking out loud) take the new fender and sell it on ebay to buy an older style? I don't know if there is a difference between 06-08 and 09+. Worth a look-see I guess.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I think the plate hangin on the tail light is causing the problem with them. Acts like a drag shute on the fender and causes to much pressure. I have a side mounted plate on mine and cut the tab off the tail light and haven't had any issues.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From all I read, an 06-08 will bolt up. I like the full fender look on the Street Bob myself, I hate that weird looking tail light on the bob fender.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master

The license plate is exactly whats causing it. When i was riding it to the dealer in back yesterday my wife was close behind watching it. She even said the way it was vibrating she could see how it cracked.

Im really thinking of getting rid of the fender mounted light and trying to go with mounting the plate flush on the fender.....

Ive seen a few do it on here....Just wondering what good kits they have out there......

Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master

Originally Posted by Good_Apollo
From all I read, an 06-08 will bolt up. I like the full fender look on the Street Bob myself, I hate that weird looking tail light on the bob fender.
Your fender set up is exactly what i am thinking about trying to do....

Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy just this past weekend showed me his cracked rear fender on his 2007 just around the tail light

Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my third rear fender 2010 street bob. It has held up good so far.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
I think the plate hangin on the tail light is causing the problem with them. Acts like a drag shute on the fender and causes to much pressure. I have a side mounted plate on mine and cut the tab off the tail light and haven't had any issues.
Good info. I didn't know the SB was experiencing such issues.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Good info. I didn't know the SB was experiencing such issues.
Not 100% sure but that would be my best guess. There is less than an inch of metal from the bottom mounting holes for the tail light to the edge of the fender. With the plate mounted on the tail light like a sail it's got to be putting a ton of pressure on the little bit of fender that is there. From the pics I've seen people post it looks like the fender is cracking strait down from the mounting holes.

Quick Reply: Cracked Street Bob fender replacement?