Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD wide pillion cheap fix for now

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic different view one more pic on my album

Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Schmedlab
Novice

I bought one of those seats but I can't get it to mount properly. It is supposed to mount just like the stock pillion but I cant seem to push down hard enough on the front to allow the "keyhole" on the underside of the seat to slide under the shoulder of the bolt that secures the primary seat. What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain

it does take some effort to make it work.Hold downward pressure at the front of the pillion seat near the mounting stud while hitting backwards.It takes a little bit of effort to make it work.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Schmedlab
Novice

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
it does take some effort to make it work.Hold downward pressure at the front of the pillion seat near the mounting stud while hitting backwards.It takes a little bit of effort to make it work.
nj, I am curious about something. When the stock pillion is removed, there are four foam pads stuck to the rear fender that support the pillion and protect the rear fender. They almost seem to be the reason that I can't get the new seat on but the instructions did not say to remove them. I assume that you left them on the fender....is that right?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM
MotoSoul11
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought this same pillion when I bought my SB. My wife loves it. It takes less than a minute to install or remove. When you are installing it push down on the front of it and push it towards the tank too, that will get it to hook to the shoulder bolt. As far as the rubber pads go, ditch them and use spray adhesive to adhere a microfiber cloth to the bottom of the pillion. It's a better fit and it will keep your fender protected and clean. Can't go wrong for $125 plus the cost of the micro fiber cloth.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Schmedlab
Novice

Originally Posted by WG2011
Yup, I have the same one it fits the stock mounts and stock driver seat. Best part is buy the quick nuts (can turn with fingers) and you can take it on and off in no time. So when the wife is not ridin with me I take it off for the clean solo look.
WG2011, it sounds like you removed the four foam pads that were stuck on the fender under the stock pillion. Am I right? If you did remove them, how does the fender hold up with the new seat resting directly on the fender? Seems like the fender would be scratched by the new seat without the foam pads.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes I did remove those rubber pads. The seat pillion will indeed scratch the fender just as the stock one does. So what I did is went to my local window tinting shop that also does 3m clear bras for the front of cars and had him make and install me a clear bra for the fender, look reall good can;t even notice it. But since I am very particular I may add some microfiber cloth on the bottom of the pass pillion as well.

Originally Posted by Schmedlab
WG2011, it sounds like you removed the four foam pads that were stuck on the fender under the stock pillion. Am I right? If you did remove them, how does the fender hold up with the new seat resting directly on the fender? Seems like the fender would be scratched by the new seat without the foam pads.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Schmedlab
Novice

Originally Posted by WG2011
Yes I did remove those rubber pads. The seat pillion will indeed scratch the fender just as the stock one does. So what I did is went to my local window tinting shop that also does 3m clear bras for the front of cars and had him make and install me a clear bra for the fender, look reall good can;t even notice it. But since I am very particular I may add some microfiber cloth on the bottom of the pass pillion as well.
I'm not sure what the 3M stuff is but it sounds interesting. If you have a chance someday I'd like to see a picture of your setup with the 3M product. MotoSoul11 also mentioned the microfiber cloth that you mentioned. Again I have to show my ignorance and ask "exactly what is microfiber cloth?"

Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as the 3m clear bra goes its basically a clear film that adheres to the surface you want it to. Have you ever seen the clear bras on the front of automobiles to protect the front from rock chips? Thats the stuff cut down to fit google clear bra and you will see what I am speaking of. Its clear so its tough to get a good picture of it installed all you really see is th ridge of where it starts and ends. Micorfiber is a very soft cotton (i think its cotton) material many including me use it to polish your bike with. You could take and attach it to the bottom of the pillion to prevent scratches, any other material may scratch the paint. The micofiber may still scrtach but not nearly as bad a regular terry towel or something like that.

Originally Posted by Schmedlab
I'm not sure what the 3M stuff is but it sounds interesting. If you have a chance someday I'd like to see a picture of your setup with the 3M product. MotoSoul11 also mentioned the microfiber cloth that you mentioned. Again I have to show my ignorance and ask "exactly what is microfiber cloth?"

Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Last edited by rbartick; 09-02-2011 at 01:58 PM.