Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary chaincase plug leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default primary chaincase plug leaking

just as the title states i've for some reason can't get the stupid thing to stop dropping oil i've tried 2 new o rings teflon tape high temp siicone gasket maker and nothing works has anybody had a similer issue or have any ideas how to fix

Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member

Teflon tape or paste on the threads. Did you torque it to specs ?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Look up behind the case, often the seal for the inner primary bearing will leak...it runs down the back of your inner primary cover...and will run down the primary drain plug and appear to come from the plug. This shows itself more after highway speed runs.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,048 Likes on 1,184 Posts

The tube that the shifter passes through has 3 "O" rings on it. I been chasing a primary leak for 3yrs. finally changed the "O" rings when I had to pull the primary and presto the leak has finally disappeared.

You may be able to get to the bolt that holds it on by removing just the chain adjuster cover. I had disassembled the entire primary so can't say for sure about that bolt.

Then again YeOldStonecat is on to something also.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Look up behind the case, often the seal for the inner primary bearing will leak...it runs down the back of your inner primary cover...and will run down the primary drain plug and appear to come from the plug. This shows itself more after highway speed runs.
yes i think you maybe right because it seems to leak the most after i ride it for a while then i'll notice a small puddle but if the bike sits for a while it stops

Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Locktite PST has always worked really well for me. use it sparingly and it works great. I have stopped many leaks at various plug locations on my bike over the years with this stuff. Works better than teflon tape.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo
yes i think you maybe right because it seems to leak the most after i ride it for a while then i'll notice a small puddle but if the bike sits for a while it stops
Get a rag and clean/dry up there really well, you can wrap your fingers up along the back of the inner primary case. Right up to the belt pulley. Wipe that whole surface area dry....all the way down and around the primary drain plug.

Go for a ride on the highway....get her up to some good sustained speeds.

Come home, park her...let her cool down. You probably have some splashed oil on the tip of your jiffy stand too.

Now get yourself down under there and look up at the back of the inner primary. May need a little mirror and a flashlight depending on your garage. If you can't get anything like that, try wiping your fingers up along that vertical rise...see if your fingerprints come back with oil on them.

What year is your bike? Miles?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm having the same issue on my 2010 Fat Bob. I kept wiping small drips of oil off the drain plug after riding. Changed the oil thinking that when I did I could get a better seal on the plug. Meanwhile I talked to the Parts mgr. at the local HD dealer (who also has a Dyna), He was saying that he had experienced the same thing and that it was most likely the inner seal on the shift shaft. According to him, it's not uncommon and it's a known issue. Since my bike is still under warranty, they will correct the issue at no cost to me.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Get a rag and clean/dry up there really well, you can wrap your fingers up along the back of the inner primary case. Right up to the belt pulley. Wipe that whole surface area dry....all the way down and around the primary drain plug.

Go for a ride on the highway....get her up to some good sustained speeds.

Come home, park her...let her cool down. You probably have some splashed oil on the tip of your jiffy stand too.

Now get yourself down under there and look up at the back of the inner primary. May need a little mirror and a flashlight depending on your garage. If you can't get anything like that, try wiping your fingers up along that vertical rise...see if your fingerprints come back with oil on them.

What year is your bike? Miles?
08 low rider with 11500 miles

Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

yeodlestonecat you hit it rite on the head took my primary all apart tonight and low and behold the shaft seal had a tear in it thanks

Quick Reply: primary chaincase plug leaking