Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor making funny noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default motor making funny noise

ok this is what i got guys and gals when im rinding my bike (08 low rider) if im in 4,5,6 gear and i put a load on the motor ie going up a hill or something and i put the hammer down i hear this strange noise come from under the gas tank in the best way i can descibe it is it sounds like a special effect sound from a hollywood move for a lazer gun shooting idk if is something in the motor or the pipes i pulled the plugs and they look white to me so maybe it's running a little lean im not really sure whats going on what doo you guys think

Old 08-21-2011, 03:47 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

are you running 92 octane

Does your bike have a stock tune, pipes or aftermarket a/c.

if not a tuner, xied will probably cure it

Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

maybe pinging? I had what seems to be a similar sound (kinda a cross between a starwars blaster and someone shaking a can of gravel) sound when I really cracked the throttle. Turned out the motor was pinging at the top of the rev range.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
spaceblue
Tourer

Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo
ok this is what i got guys and gals when im rinding my bike (08 low rider) if im in 4,5,6 gear and i put a load on the motor ie going up a hill or something and i put the hammer down i hear this strange noise come from under the gas tank in the best way i can descibe it is it sounds like a special effect sound from a hollywood move for a lazer gun shooting idk if is something in the motor or the pipes i pulled the plugs and they look white to me so maybe it's running a little lean im not really sure whats going on what doo you guys think
Really hard to say from your description. You haven't told us if the noise is a new occurrence on a bike you are used to or if the bike is just new to you and you are not sure of it.
The white plugs are normal for a EFI motor with the original tune. I'm assuming that is what you have, and mine, a '10 FXDC, has white plugs too.
You could be describing a ping from the use of lower than required octane fuel, and the load condition under which you say it occurs would fit that profile.

Personally I'm not a big fan of iXED's. To me they just default the bike to a too rich condition and negate all of the sophistication built into the Delphi EFI.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

sophistication built into the Delphi EFI... the sophistication of running lean?

I installed a xied, bike runs cooler, no more pinging, engine runs better than ever, plugs look fine.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ynots
sophistication built into the Delphi EFI... the sophistication of running lean?

I installed a xied, bike runs cooler, no more pinging, engine runs better than ever, plugs look fine.
was thinking the same thing. If the Delphi is sophisticated, i'd like to know how to tap into that 'cause out of the box it's rubbish.

Back to our normal viewing...OP, based on the limited info so far, sounds like your engine is pinging, which in and of itself is not uncommon in stock engine with stock pipes, AC, and EFI. That said, (and I'll freely admit to being no expert here) it is something you want to avoid for any extended time by either a) not riding so hard, or
b) using Xied's or some other fuel management system, or
c) do a proper Stage one upgrade with pipes, AC and Fuel management....

my 0.02 for what it's worth....

Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

XEID's do not negate the sophistication, nor default the delphi EFI. It tricks it into adding more fuel but other then that works exactly the same as without.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

yes some more info from me proably would have help sorry guys the bike has stage 1 k&n air filter with power commander and a set of aftermarket pipe that look like stock one idk the brand all of this was on the bike when i bought it before i ever put one mile on it i took the bike to my local harley dealer and they went threw the hole bike and said all was well they put it on the dyno too 71 hp's at the wheel and 80 something foot pounds torque and yes this is a new thing that just started happening so what is the min octane rating for this motor
krazy8s it sounds like we have/had similer problem maybe the motor is pinging but i don't think im hitting the rev limiter this all happens around 2000 to 3000ish rpm's

Old 08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
was thinking the same thing. If the Delphi is sophisticated, i'd like to know how to tap into that 'cause out of the box it's rubbish.

Back to our normal viewing...OP, based on the limited info so far, sounds like your engine is pinging, which in and of itself is not uncommon in stock engine with stock pipes, AC, and EFI. That said, (and I'll freely admit to being no expert here) it is something you want to avoid for any extended time by either a) not riding so hard, or
b) using Xied's or some other fuel management system, or
c) do a proper Stage one upgrade with pipes, AC and Fuel management....

my 0.02 for what it's worth....
This and I'd like to add, make sure the RPM's are high enough in the upper gears before giving it a lot of gas. Doing this to your bike is REAL bad for the engine, it's like hitting the top of the pistons with a hammer and beats the rod bearings to an early death.

Mike

Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo
yes some more info from me proably would have help sorry guys the bike has stage 1 k&n air filter with power commander and a set of aftermarket pipe that look like stock one idk the brand all of this was on the bike when i bought it before i ever put one mile on it i took the bike to my local harley dealer and they went threw the hole bike and said all was well they put it on the dyno too 71 hp's at the wheel and 80 something foot pounds torque and yes this is a new thing that just started happening so what is the min octane rating for this motor
krazy8s it sounds like we have/had similer problem maybe the motor is pinging but i don't think im hitting the rev limiter this all happens around 2000 to 3000ish rpm's
that puts a whole new spin on things Seems a bit weird to me that you are only getting 71/80 out of a stage 1.... again, I am no expert, but these numbers seem only marginally better than stock. Might be an idea to contact Jamie at fuel moto to get his opinion on it. Still sounds like pinging to me, but if a stage one is done and this just came up then there could be a whole different set of issues going on here. It could be as simple as the PC needing to be better mapped, or something entirely different.

Over to those who have vastly more knowledge than i do.....

Quick Reply: motor making funny noise