Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor making funny noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo
yes some more info from me proably would have help sorry guys the bike has stage 1 k&n air filter with power commander and a set of aftermarket pipe that look like stock one idk the brand all of this was on the bike when i bought it before i ever put one mile on it i took the bike to my local harley dealer and they went threw the hole bike and said all was well they put it on the dyno too 71 hp's at the wheel and 80 something foot pounds torque and yes this is a new thing that just started happening so what is the min octane rating for this motor
krazy8s it sounds like we have/had similer problem maybe the motor is pinging but i don't think im hitting the rev limiter this all happens around 2000 to 3000ish rpm's
Your RPM's are way too low to be hammering it in the upper gears, learn how to ride with the revs up more.
Octane should be as high as you can get in your area, I use 93.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
that puts a whole new spin on things Seems a bit weird to me that you are only getting 71/80 out of a stage 1.... again, I am no expert, but these numbers seem only marginally better than stock. Might be an idea to contact Jamie at fuel moto to get his opinion on it. Still sounds like pinging to me, but if a stage one is done and this just came up then there could be a whole different set of issues going on here. It could be as simple as the PC needing to be better mapped, or something entirely different.

Over to those who have vastly more knowledge than i do.....
ya im no expert either im pretty mechanicaly inclined but know when to say leave it to the pro's if this was one of my old sleds or jap bikes i'd tear right into it but this was a pretty expencive bike so im gonna be a little more carefull

Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

Originally Posted by OldMike
Your RPM's are way too low to be hammering it in the upper gears, learn how to ride with the revs up more.
Octane should be as high as you can get in your area, I use 93.
ok so i will start using better gas and not hammer on it in the upper gears with low rpm's maybe thats all it is then when the rpm's get up over 3k the noise gose away im a meat head this is simple riding 101 i thought the fact that these motors made peak hp's at like 3200 rpm's i just figured they liked running low

Old 08-21-2011, 08:14 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,261 Posts

ok so i will start using better gas and not hammer on it in the upper gears with low rpm's maybe thats all it is then when the rpm's get up over 3k the noise gose away im a meat head this is simple riding 101 i thought the fact that these motors made peak hp's at like 3200 rpm's i just figured they liked running low
Your numbers are off, I cruise at almost 3200 RPM all day. Check some dyno charts around here, peak HP is higher. I don't think there is anything wrong with your bike, just adjust your octane and riding style.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

Originally Posted by OldMike
Your numbers are off, I cruise at almost 3200 RPM all day. Check some dyno charts around here, peak HP is higher. I don't think there is anything wrong with your bike, just adjust your octane and riding style.
ok i will look at some dyno sheets i think your right better gas and diff riding style should take care of this thank you for you help

Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

As others have stated you might just be lugging the motor revs too low. harley's dont like to be lugged .

Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

try the xieds you will like them.
Made my pigging disappear.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

what is this xied's everyone is talking about can i install it myself or dose dealer have to doo it and how much dose it cost

Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what is this xied's everyone is talking about can i install it myself or dose dealer have to doo it and how much dose it cost
They say its a 30 min install.

http://sales.nightrider.com/

Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

took the bike out for a ride last night and changed the way i rode the bike made sure the rpm's stayed around 3k and the lazer/pinging sound went away it only did it once when i was gettting on it in 5th gear around 4k rpm's so i think some better gas should take care of that