Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on commuter/cold weather bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 AM
darkcvc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need opinions on commuter/cold weather bike

My wife and I sat down an decided that I need to get rid of one of my vehicles (some of you my have posted on my other thread). I assumed selling the bike was going to be easiest, but it is much to the contrary. I have gotten a ton more interest in my car (1995 honda civic) then I have advertising the bike.

It has become clear to me that there is a good chance I might be selling my car soon and the bike will become my daily driver year round. I am not getting much interest in the bike probably since the price is too high.

Basically I wanted to get some opinions on what would help make the bike more of a commuter vehicle, especially when it starts getting cold outside.Here is the list I compiled from reading this site and asking other bikers:

9" Batwing Windshield Batwing Mount Kit Batwing Fairing Ammo Cans Easy Brackets Chaps Turn Signal Relocation Kit
I have always planned on using bigger 50mm Ammo Cans for my saddlebags, as this is the style I like for my bike, and I eventually want to paint it olive drab.

Any other suggestions from Dyna guys?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Not A Dyna Guy, But -

I pretty much commute on my bike year round here in NJ, with the exception of fog, active rainfall, snow covered roads or just to damn cold! This past winter I put the bike on a tender in November and didn't unplug it until almost April. I can't imagine VA being much better. For cold weather I would definately recommend a windshield and if you are serious, a round of heated wear - top, bottom and hands! I'll be installing a setup this fall (probably Gerbings) with a single controller.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Heated wear ( only really need gloves,) and switched from 1/2 helmet to 3/4 with full shield. Layered clothing. Year round commuter here.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I ride year round in Chicago. I don't know that a windshield helps all that much. I wear heated gloves when it gets really cold. Layers work fine everywhere else.

How long is your ride to work? Cold is a function of time as much as temperature. 10 miles in 15° is completely different than 40 miles in the same temps.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM
darkcvc
Tourer

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
How long is your ride to work? Cold is a function of time as much as temperature. 10 miles in 15° is completely different than 40 miles in the same temps.
My ride is about 40 miles. I am in Virginia, so the coldest we usually see is 20's. Most winter days stay around 30's during the dark, and warms up to low 40's in sunlight.

Also, the ride is 40 miles, but an hour long due to traffic and the roads I have to do.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,984 Likes on 4,175 Posts

Don't go far? HA. Seriously when weather gets bad (below freezing) and you are deciding what to do keep Honda. Front wheel drive as long as the snow is not deep will go anywhere and has heater. Harley bike are hobbies and luxuries. The Honda would be cheaper to operate and you need dependable car to keep a job. Bet just like me the personal property tax is more on the Harley then your car. Mine's more then my 04 Toyota 4x4. I am not far from you and use mine year round 10 miles to work but when it rains or below freezing use truck. Being only 10 miles I just layer and wear cheap ebay leather jacket over hoodie and sweats under jeans since I go in at 2PM and leave at 12AM. There is quite a lot of days even here on coast that a motorcycle is not going to cut it. Good luck with decisions. I realize advice is just my opinion but what I have done for 63 years. Even have the luxuries of not having to work but what keeps me going.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-21-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling eeeee
Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I commute year round about 25 mile ride. Although it's in FL but winter mornings are in the 30's and occasionally in the bight 20's. The advantage that we have is that winter is dry time so that helps. That being said if your going to spend money on anything make it heated clothing. Jacket liner and gloves are a must. You can pretty much ride indefinitely with heated clothing because you are replacing heat not just simply insulating from loss. I don't have a temp controller on mine and when I come to a stop I have to turn it off because it gets too hot. The heated clothing also reduces bulk because you don't need so many layers. I also use a set of factory detachable bags for storage and come winter I add a duffle bag to my solo luggage rack just to stow the winter clothes.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 PM
darkcvc
Tourer

Originally Posted by grf000
Don't go far? HA. Seriously when weather gets bad (below freezing) and you are deciding what to do keep Honda. Front wheel drive as long as the snow is not deep will go anywhere and has heater. Harley bike are hobbies and luxuries. The Honda would be cheaper to operate and you need dependable car to keep a job. Bet just like me the personal property tax is more on the Harley then your car. Mine's more then my 04 Toyota 4x4. I am not far from you and use mine year round 10 miles to work but when it rains or below freezing use truck. Being only 10 miles I just layer and wear cheap ebay leather jacket over hoodie and sweats under jeans since I go in at 2PM and leave at 12AM. There is quite a lot of days even here on coast that a motorcycle is not going to cut it. Good luck with decisions. I realize advice is just my opinion but what I have done for 63 years. Even have the luxuries of not having to work but what keeps me going.
One thing I forgot to mention, if the weather is bad, I do have an alternative. My wife does not work, so I can take her vehicle if it is snow or ice.

Thanks for the replies. Going to look into some heater gear now for prices.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:35 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

Years ago I would ride year round and I would layer up my torso with 7-9 layers. When it was really cold it just wouldn't keep me warm, and once my core gets cold I am done riding till I can warm up again. Finally broke down and bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner and now I can stay warm and don't have all the bulk. I felt like the Michelin man and was still cold. Gerbing suggests a thin shirt, I wear silk or moleskin, then the jacket liner and a medium weight jacket on top. I may try a rain jacket that breathes on top this winter. That and the heated gloves, are 2 of the beat things I have ever purchased for riding.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I ride year round in Chicago. I don't know that a windshield helps all that much.
That's hard to believe. A windshield makes a big difference and the batwing makes even more difference. Are you riding at highway speeds or just local streets?

How do you ride in the snow? I had my '66 Mustang in Chicago for 2 years, 1981,1982. I was rust free when I started and crap, when I finished. Doesn't your bike rust in Winter?

OP get a Batwing. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on commuter/cold weather bike