Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deffensive Riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Big Jed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deffensive Riding

Ok so I understand the risks of riding. I have been hit by a car once, forced off the road twice (once with my wife on the back) and of course a countless number of close calls. After some of these incidents I have gone as far as to chase the vehicle down in a fit of rage with intent of pulling the A-Hole out of his car and teaching him a lesson but most of the time I pulled up next to them and I find out they are either elderly or a teenager with a cell phone glued to there head so the most I have ever done is an intimidating stare or a few harsh words. The other day my wife was in town and took a picture of a bike she saw in a parking lot. She showed me the picture and I have to admit it might be the dumbest thing I have ever seen but maybe it would be a cure to keeping distracted drivers away. hahaha Whats more intimidating than a biker with a Louisville Slugger strapped to his front fork. Seriously I think this guy is an idiot but I got a good laugh out of the picture and I hope you all do too.

Attached Thumbnails Deffensive Riding-bikeybike.jpg  
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM
that_guy
Tourer

Someone with that most likely isn't afraid to use it. I would tread lightly around them. But then again I have almost strapped a traffic cop on my bike a few times myself so maybe I'm just a little bit biased. Living in MA and very close to the shithole that is Lawrence, my patience for idiot drivers and espescially cabbies is almost non existent at this point.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jed
Ok so I understand the risks of riding.
Careful about complacency, I don't think that anyone fully understands them.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:26 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up defensive riding years ago.
Now I use what I learned on the road racing track and ride 100% offensively.

They cant hit what they can get closed to.
treat them like any other road hazard, pilot around them is with safe and rapid acceleration. Sometimes you have to just go around them. The side walk, shoulder, lane split are all your friends. Damn the law when you *** is on the line.

Weapons of any sort will only get you a reservation in the grey bar motel. and you putt hooked.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM
cjlandry
Road Master

Maybe the guy carries a bat because he lives in a state where they won't let him carry a gun.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have always, since a teenager, felt they can't hit me if they can't catch me. That includes when riding a Harley.

The guy with the ball bat may be a member of a MC, though they usually aren't that open with showing what they may or may not have.

I doubt that could pass off as a tire knocker (like the semi drivers have in their cabs), or going to a ball game unless he's sitting on his glove.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:02 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with Fred on this one...Stay away

Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You never know what you don't know. Maybe the guy is just a softball player. You may see a tennis racket on my bike every so often. What you don't see is the Colt 1911.

Be careful out there. Assume nothing.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:08 PM
CyberDuke
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Couple of guys I know down here ride also with a baseball bat in what looks very close to a Rifle Scabbard tied to their swingarm. They also got a used baseball in a leather pouch strapped to it. Beleive me they are not going to a game, the ball is there just in case the get stopped by the cops so they cant be charged with carrying a dangerous weapon. They just say they are going to a game. The cops cant do anything, i'ts a technicality of the law. You got to use what you can and what you know these days. A lot of f***en a**holes on the streets and highways, you got to take care of number 1.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Topspin
You never know what you don't know. Maybe the guy is just a softball player. You may see a tennis racket on my bike every so often. What you don't see is the Colt 1911.

Be careful out there. Assume nothing.
I never ride without my Glock 30sf.

Quick Reply: Deffensive Riding