Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yum! Copper spaghetti in primary!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 AM
baxter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yum! Copper spaghetti in primary!

Amongst eletrical problems lately due to excessive amounts of moisture I also gained a bonus problem in the primary housing resulting in grinding rubbing noises only to open it up tonight to find copper spaghetti everywhere. No wonder I had an engine/battery light ... I'll try to post a pic if this iPhone let's me.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 AM
baxter
Road Warrior

Stator mutilator. Jus some web browsing I'm seeing others with 06 Dynas having them come apart on them much earlier then my 43,xxx miles. This should be fun with limited tools and money... Why the fck did I leave AZ and all my sht?!!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 AM
baxter
Road Warrior

Ok this is freakin strange. I get inside the primary and pull off the compensating sprocket, rotor and such to find not just one bit all 8 connecting bolts from sprocket to rotor have backed out simotaneously it seems and turned the stator assembly into a metal blender of bolts, copper and magnet! .... Time to put the mescal, lemonade and tools down for the night and order parts in the A.M. FML im down for another week?!

Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

You may want to search this forum a bit as some have gotten the moco to fix as its a known problem for the 2006 models.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It's too late for you but for others with this model year an easy fix before the rotor grenades is to pull it and have the bolts spot welded. Just the labor to pull it which is fairly easy for the home mechanic and take it to a welder, should be about a $10.00 job.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,184 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Happened to me about 5 weeks ago. Went out for a ride with the wife on the back, about 5 miles out.....at a stoplight just about to pull onto the onramp, screeching and grinding chirping and all sorts of weird feelings traveling up the handlebars.

My inner primary bearing had been getting loud, I figured she finally went tango uniform on me. Turned around and nursed her home real slow...stopped by the local bike bar for a couple in order to prepare myself for a while without the bike for repairs. Got home fine.

Trailered to a buds garage, he's a popular indy mechanic that works out of his garage. When cover came off...yup..birds nest of copper wire.

Replaced with the fixed unit..it's a one piece unit.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

Yea just ordered the stator/rotor combo platter from Zanotti $203+ shipping vs. $281 from local dealer. My total came to $222.31. Not bad.

You think Harley would have done a recall on this as it could be dangerous as hell having this come apart doing high speeds on the highway.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

its an easy fix if your mechanically inclined...just did this for a buddy maybe 5 months ago...

Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, unbelievable that Harley would put together such a **** design and not put a recall on it. Absolutely garbage. My stator/rotor went out at 15,000 miles. Thank God it was 2 weeks before my warranty expired.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=baxter;8705909]Yea just ordered the stator/rotor combo platter from Zanotti $203+ shipping vs. $281 from local dealer. My total came to $222.31. Not bad.

Bax,
Did you think about upgrading the compensator while you're in there? Might be worth considering?

Quick Reply: Yum! Copper spaghetti in primary!