Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me go HID.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Help me go HID.

I am still running the stock Low Rider headlight on my Springer. I upgraded to a Silverstar as most of us do. The other day it blew, so I put the stock bulb back in. Damn, they really do suck. I was about to buy the new Silverstar Ultra when I thought for that much money, I am half way to one of these HID kits I see on ebay. So heres what I need. All those who have done the conversion or at least have experience doing it, can you recommend a kit. What brand? How easy to install, and did it fit in the small headlight housing.
Please advise.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The LED will kick the HID's ***.............just plug and play

Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD7585
The LED will kick the HID's ***.............just plug and play
Please explain. Brand, price, where do I get one????

Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Read this post...........This is the light i have. The light output is incredible! https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-on-11-wg.html

Last edited by HD7585; 08-15-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Talk to Joe Knapp. I read that HID is brighter than LED (which I have). However, you need a place to hide the ballast on the HID. Most have put into a fork bag. Do not go cheap on HID, the ballast will go after a few months.

The LED is just plug and play so its pretty easy, but $$$ for the bulb. Order from Zanottis, make sure it has an A at end of part number, which is the newer version. The original trapped moisture in the bulb.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Now guys, those LED lights look like 500 dollar units!!! I am not interested in a light like that. Just brighter than what I have. I appreciate technology, but not at that price. I don't mind dropping 100 beans on a light but I want to make sure it will last. Also, I have a Springer so I don't have a fork bag. I also have the little headlight so I need the setup with the tiny ballast, but like mentioned, I want it to last and not puke out in a few months.

______________________________-

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Willy723
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HIDs are pretty simple plug and play, the smaller headlight housings can be a challenge as to mounting the ballast, but the larger stock housings can fit a "slim" ballast inside with the rest of the wiring. HIDGate kits are pretty reliable, and considering you get 2 ballasts with each kit its simple enough to pull a bad ballast and return for a replacement while you have the"spare" ballast in. Don't spend $200+ on an HID kit...not worth the extra $$$

Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Basic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DDMtuning.com is also a good place for HIDs. I think a slim ballast kit is about $40.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thats more of what I'm hoping for. I like the warranty too. I might just give that setup a try. I'll post up some before and after shots as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Basic
DDMtuning.com is also a good place for HIDs. I think a slim ballast kit is about $40.
That's what I used on my last bike, and what I use in my Wrangler. I got the DDM H4 hi-low single kit for a bike and it worked really well. The ballast was inline in the wiring and was about the size of a business card holder so I just had to find a hidden spot to zip tie it in and you couldn't tell it was there when I was done. If your worried bout it looking ricer because of the color get one in the 5000k range which is close to the same color as the sylvania halogen bright whites but a lot wider light dispersion.

The new LED lights are kick *** but pricey and if they go out your screwed if you don't have enough for a new one. I don't care what anybody says about life duration of the light cause brand new lights can fail from defect or just Murphy's Law when you least expect it whereas the HID bulbs if they go out can be pulled out and a regular off the shelf light put back in if your on the road or what not.

Here is a link to a pic on photobucket of my old headlight setup to show you the color http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0101-1.jpg

Last edited by xantasm; 08-15-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me go HID.