Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me go HID.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the really fast replies! They are a great help.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I used
Fortemotors
On eBay.
Got the dual hi/low in the dakotA...and a fog light kit
Got 2 sets... 1 for low , 1 for hi in my explorer.
Had the hi /Hologen, low xenon kit in my roadglide...
If they didn't fit in my bucket, if buy a bigger bucket..

Old 08-16-2011, 01:53 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xantasm

The new LED lights are kick *** but pricey and if they go out your screwed if you don't have enough for a new one. I don't care what anybody says about life duration of the light cause brand new lights can fail from defect or just Murphy's Law when you least expect it whereas the HID bulbs if they go out can be pulled out and a regular off the shelf light put back in if your on the road or what not.
The LED headlights are simple plug and play. If they go out, they can be replaced in under 5 minutes with a standard bulb. The Phillips HID's that I'm familiar with were a bit more involved than just pulling and replacing with standard bulb. Either way, the LED's go in and come out just as fast as a standard bulb.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

The LED bulb is one complete housing, so if on the road and it burns out, you cannot just replace with a regular bulb unless you happen to be carrying the housing that came with original set up.I am not familiar with how the HID works except that it needs a separate ballast.

Attached Thumbnails Help me go HID.-photo0285.jpg  
Old 08-16-2011, 02:47 AM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
The LED bulb is one complete housing, so if on the road and it burns out, you cannot just replace with a regular bulb unless you happen to be carrying the housing that came with original set up.I am not familiar with how the HID works except that it needs a separate ballast.
The HID kits I am talking about from DDM use a wiring harness with an inline ballast unit connected to a current controlled magnet inside the bulb housing for hi-low which fits into your standard H4 style 7" headlight bucket. The harness connects to your battery for the ballast power source and uses your stock headlight plug for hi-low control of the bulb unit so if it fails you can just disconnect it from the stock headlight plug and swap back in a regular H4 bulb. You don't have to modify your stock wiring hence the relatively easy swap back to stock.

Speaking of the LED one's, I have two of the 7" like Kuryakyn makes on my Jeep as auxiliary lights and they are the same way. There are 8 LED's and basically if one of them goes out you just keep running it till all of the other LED's die if you don't want to pay $300 a piece for complete units which on a bike would fit inside the 7" bucket. The plus side is the power draw is so low there is a really good chance they won't die for a long time but I wont run them in my headlights because like you said if one does fail I cant just swap in a $15 fix till I get around to buying a replacement for the LED.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:25 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I currently have the small XL/FX bucket. Maybe this is a good time to upgrade buckets as well?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
The LED will kick the HID's ***.............just plug and play
NO WAY!!!! i ride with 2 guys with LED lamp, their LED can not touch the light output my HID has, not even close...

plus mine cost 50 bucks they have like 300 on their bike = I WIN

bud only way i can see you pulling this off with that lamp is run a slim line ballast and see if you can fit it in the bucket, if not you may have to cut and extand the lines on the unit to allow you to tuck the ballast under the tank or something... but there is no compare wiht HID and LED,
I run 10000 K in all my bikes the 12000 is a touch brighter but has way to much blue tint for me

Xentec is the kit i use in 4 of my 8 bikes, her car, and my truck... yes i am a huge fan! they are cheap and work great!!! been running them for over a year and only had one bulb go bad, they replaced it free

Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, the more I think about this the more that Springer needs a Bullet headlight. Then I can fit the HID stuff in it.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
valter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, the HID will appear brighter, because it has no defined direction other than outward, unless you have a projector housing. LED be less work, and looks sweet too IMO. i was excited to see my post get reposted too! lol

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-on-11-wg.html

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dual set of xentec hid's that was on my sport bike but they're h7's. Can't remember but is there a way to buy the h4 socket/bulb part and use my ballasts and cables?

Quick Reply: Help me go HID.