Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New/old bike at dealer's floor

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New/old bike at dealer's floor

I saw someone discussing on another forum about haggling with a dealer for a bike on their floor that has been passed over and new bikes coming out. Say a dealler has a '10 or '11 bike on sales floor and new ones are coming our '12 as we speak. What prices are people getting for new/old bikes that are brand new and never been titled? Bikes not sold prolly cause of paint scheme or for whatever reason. Yeah...I know vivid black is the fastest :-)

I know you can haggle to death but if I was gonna buy a buike and got quotes $500 less for say a '10 or '11 I'd say the hell with it and get/wait for a '12. So I think dealers may have some incentive to wheel and deal since the summer months are about ending.

Has anyone gotten a good deal on a 2 or 3 year old new bike? Gift card or 20% off service or what? Hard to haggle on an old stock when newer ones come out (esp the WG with 103")...

Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Last Time Around

A little over 2 years ago I picked up my 09 Road King as a leftover. The day started as a trip to the dealer to buy some doodads for my Sporty and ended up with buying the RK. The salesman passed an innocent comment asking if I was ready to move up to a bigger bike and I replied that if he was willing to bypass all the BS I would be interested. He went immediately from clowning around to here's what I have to get rid of. With the first quote out of his mouth I knew we had a done deal! I was shocked! I guess my timing was pretty good, what with the 2010s' out, the economic collapse, end of the season looming, etc. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND looking at leftovers to anyone. You never can tell!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default highly unusual

jeffreydsilver,

I'd say your case is highly unusual because they always start out high and you got to work down even on one or two year old models. Dealers are not in the business to lose money but then maybe the end of the riding season and they KNOW they are going to lose money from past experience played a role in this. I can understand adding on stuff like shipping ($335) and set up ($650) but selling a 2011 0r 2010 model that has not been titled at MSRP is BS as depreciation kicks in when new models come out. Yes I think the $650 is BS because they do not spend 8 hours to set up...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM
streetbobhank
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my 09 SB on Halloween 2009 after the10s came out and they were offering a $1500 gift card on all remaining 09s.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

When I bought my '07WG in January '08, the dealer immediately knocked $2,000 off the sticker price and explained to me he did that because it was a leftover. I didn't have to haggle. So, I paid $15,100 for my brand new wg.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Crushrus
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

talked to local dealer a couple months ago. they had some '10 SB's marked around $13.5 or something. can't remember the exact figure. i asked what they could do on it, immediately they offered that price out the door, tax, title, everything. which amounts to about $2k off had i just bought it at sticker price. I'm sure if i'd haggled a bit i could have gotten it even lower.

dealerships don't make much off the bike, they make it off the aftermarket ****, service and maintenance. they also make a ton off the 'lifestyle': jackets, boots, panties, stuffed animals, etc. they realize they can't sell you any of the rest of that crap if you don't have the bike first.

main question is 'what are the differences between a ___ and a '12? if there aren't any major ones, you could be looking at saving nearly a years worth of payments in exchange for some cosmetic differences. pretty good deal