Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Unplug the connectors & check each pin to ground.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BravoFireRescue
I had to splice to connect the wire extensions! I crimped with heat shrinking tubes, I'm sure I connected them back perfectly. I'm thinking the wires are getting pinched somewhere along the line :/
Why? did you use a prefab kit or just make your own extensions? I ask because I have used a novello extension kit and there was ZERO cutting and splicing.

with the Novello kit, you disassemble to connector. Install the extensions. Then rebuild the connector. No cutting/splicing involved. That's why you buy the kit.

Also, you "crimped with heatshrink"?

What is coming across to me via your posts is that you really need to double check your solder joints. It sounds like a major failure point.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 08-14-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidc
did u stagger the joints? otherwise u have a bundle that's hard to pull through the bars, and something could have shorted, or the crimp came loose...
Very good point and I would never use connectors in the bars I always solder and double shrink wrap

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM
mazorglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now are you getting anything when you turn on the key? Your saying nothing is coming on, I would check there, now if it your not getting engine start but everything else is in I would listen to what everyone is saying about the wires.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM
BravoFireRescue
Advanced

Originally Posted by mazorglide
Now are you getting anything when you turn on the key? Your saying nothing is coming on, I would check there, now if it your not getting engine start but everything else is in I would listen to what everyone is saying about the wires.
I'm getting no power at all, it's dead regardless of what I do.

I did stagger the joints, taped with electrical taped and pulled it all out as a whole. I hated having to come work today, wish I could have stayed and checked everything... but Hopefully Tomorrow I can have a friend go look at it and help me a bit, Ill keep u guys posted.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
BravoFireRescue
Advanced

Sorry guys! I found the problem and now am incredibly embarrassed!!! It turns out I did 2 things wrong...

1 - I didn't connect one of the positive cables, I guess I was tired and that led to a stupid mistake :/

2 - I was also wrong when I said I connected everything perfectly... I connected the right turn signal to the left turn signal wires :/. Easy fix!

I REALLY appreciate the help I recieved from everyone! I know I don't give much input, but I am very new to Motorcycles, still I will try to post up pics of the whole Handlebar swap process! Again Thanx alot to everyone!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear it... now you're experienced.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 PM
BravoFireRescue
Advanced

After draining and refilling the Transmission and Primary fluid, I finally took my Bike out for a spin... but it's acting funny. I shifted to 3rd and the "6" gear light came on for about a second. After I turned it off to go inside the store, I couldn't turn it back on. I turned on a blinker then tried again to turn on and finally it did. I feel terrible for my bike!!! I guess I'm gonna have to check it out with a mechanic. Anyway, here are some pics in order of the process...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So, what you're saying is that your turn signal button is now your start button?

I hope I am misreading that. Did you make a diagram of the connector before you disassembled it?

You're going to have to re-verify that you have all the wires connected to their respective counterpart in the connectors. Sounds like you really did some switching.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 08-16-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 AM
BravoFireRescue
Advanced

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
So, what you're saying is that your turn signal button is now your start button?

I hope I am misreading that. Did you make a diagram of the connector before you disassembled it?

You're going to have to re-verify that you have all the wires connected to their respective counterpart in the connectors. Sounds like you really did some switching.
no no no, my turn signals are correct, I just accidently made the left signal switch activate the right turn signal, but thats fixed! Only problem is that the "On" button takes a few tries to work sometimes... Maybe wire is pinches a little too tight?

Quick Reply: Bike is dead?