Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a touring bar hopper - have your cake and eat it too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
dwike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a touring bar hopper - have your cake and eat it too?

I picked up an 08 bob after realizing as much as I'd like to have a street-glide the money is just out of my reach. I've had a couple dynas over the years and love them, love how they ride, look (when done to my taste), but haven't really seen myself riding cross country on it. I like the low sleek look of softails and dynas (old softail I had in pic below), but there is no way the look I like will work long distance for me, especially with a bad lower back. So, can a dyna be built the way I like during the week, and then piled on with the gear I need for the long trips with detachable stuff? What does a compromise look like?

The point of this thread is to get opinions and feedback from experience of those of you who have tried different setups etc.

The things in question are suspension, bars, seat, windshield and bags...

Suspension: I've figured out that I want 11.5 progressive 440s in the rear (or so I think), and haven't concluded or figured out what the best set up is up front for a good weekday look (inch lower or so), but great handling and capability all around for everything else. What are the alternatives to progressive? Do I have to add the race-tech or ricor valve system to get a good front end setup?

Bars: I must say the stock bars on the bob are quite comfortable, but again not my look. I actually prefer the drag bar look. I even like stock superglide bars better than bob bars or apes, but wonder what my options are for something that pulls back enough to be comfortable for distance and still have a cool low slung look. (Really looking for opinions and experience here!)

Seats: I'm a real lover of Corbins. I've bought a number of them, but they've always been the hollywood solot. It's very comfortable, looks awesome, but could it be an all day seat? I've looked at the C&C solo seat because they offer the solo backrest, but is the butt as comfortable? Could I accomplish what I want with the corbin hollywood and a detachable rider backrest and a big ole T-bag backpack resting between me and the rider's backrest (is that clear?)...Seems that a big ole pack would be even better than a detachable driver's backrest, and I've killed two birds with one purchase...

Bags: How many of you can get what you need for a couple weeks in one big backpack that sits on the rider's seat behind you, or are saddle bags a must for anything long? I'm sure how much I pack is the big variable here, just looking for opinions from the touring guys...

Windshield: the bike came with a detachable windshield and I think its the HD 14" windshield. How big of a shield can I bolt into the frame of this windshield and is there too big a shield? I've never run a windshield before but took a little trip a couple weeks ago with it, and like what it does, go figure...

Maybe I should have made a couple of threads out of this, but appreciate everyone's opinion as I begin this build and felt it best not to load down the forum with a bunch of junk. Add your 2 cents to whichever part or all the parts, I appreciate it all!

Below is a pic of my old softail, and the 08 Bob I'm working with now.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails a touring bar hopper - have your cake and eat it too?-more-017.jpg   a touring bar hopper - have your cake and eat it too?-bike.jpg  

Last edited by dwike; 08-13-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

There are a few guys on here that have gone whole-hog with turning their Dynas into touring bikes (hard bags, fairings). I am sure they will pop in soon.

I have a windshield, saddlebags, luggage rack for long trips. Can do as many miles on my Dyna as the touring bikes.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Easy enough to do, and it can all be quick detachable.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I am shooting for also and want it all quick detach on my Fatbob. There are a lot of people that have done this. Here is a recent thread Joe did to his Streetbob that's all quick detachable (bags, fairing and tourpak). He has a few threads on how he did it all too if you search for member JRK5892. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...installed.html

Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by dwike
So, can a dyna be built the way I like during the week, and then piled on with the gear I need for the long trips with detachable stuff?
Yes.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Yeah you can do it no problem,but that was a sharp softail you had.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM
dwike
Advanced

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Yes.

What bars and windshield are you using here????

Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

i'm sure you didn't buy the new dyna Switchback because of the price (even though it's less than the street glide that is your other choice) . however it looks like a decent tourer and you might want to see if any of the parts will fit your bob .
curious to see what you come up with , and if you can beat HD at their own game

Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
PsTaN
Road Master

Here's a pic of mine from a recent ride. I have my taller shield on in this pic ... I can also put a tall sissy bar and luggage rack on to go about anywhere.

Edit: added another pic from a different angle.

PsTaN

Attached Thumbnails a touring bar hopper - have your cake and eat it too?-fortmims.jpg   a touring bar hopper - have your cake and eat it too?-ussalabama.jpg  

Last edited by PsTaN; 08-13-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's my version of Touring/Dyna, My FXDC Sport if ya will.

Quick Reply: a touring bar hopper - have your cake and eat it too?