Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why forward controls?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 AM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why forward controls?

When I use the forward pegs I have to keep leg pressure against the pegs the whole time to fight the wind wanting to push my feet back. I don't see how anybody can like that! I'm 6'2" so my knees are still bent a fair amount so maybe that's why it's so uncomfortable.. 09 low rider

Last edited by KevenW; 08-11-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM
BlackhawkDriver
Tourer

I have forwards on my fat bob, I love them for around town cruisin and under 60 mph rolling but I know what you mean about the highway and the wind pushing your feet off. I am considering switching to mids for this reason, but i don't think I can with my pipes and I really love these pipes.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

if your 6'2" (same as me) get a different seat. It will TOTALLY change your position and get you comfortable.
I have forwards (WG) and was swappin out seats to see what I liked.
I rode with the SAME seat you have for a week.
Had to get off fast, felt like I was gunna slide up the tank at stops, was way too far forward!
My friend gave me a 2009 superglide custom seat, Wow!
That was the one!
Tons of room, no footing issues, and a nice lookin seat!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 AM
2011BlackDyna
Novice

Been wondering the same thing. I have a new Superglide Custom which is basically a Low Rider. Just about to buy highway pegs so I can stretch my legs out occasionally but without a windshield, your body is basically a sail at that point. I already have a lower back that complains after a while and am also thinking about a seat with backrest for longer trips even though I hate the way they look. I'm only 5 ft 10 in and it does seem that my legs would be more comfortable a little farther forward. Guess I'll try highway pegs first and see how I like that. I do prefer mids for general local riding and best control. Do you guys with highway pegs use them all the time on the highway or just every now and then to stretch the legs.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:08 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,903 Likes on 860 Posts

I've had forward controls on three bikes. My last bike was a Road King, so I had the boards on it. Just bought a new Super Glide Custom and had forward controls put on before I even picked it up. I love them, and wouldn't have a bike without them. Mid controls make me cramped.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:20 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have forwards, you should at least have pegs with rubber on them to help "grip" your foot, at highway speeds you lay the back of your ankle or side of your foot on the peg, if you are over 6' this should be easy. This will give you straight legs and the rubber keeps your foot from slipping. This is also a good reason to have boots with the ring or buckle on the side, it helps grip too.
With forwards you have at least 3 different positions for your feet, experiment and find what works best.
The wind is part of riding, learn to use it.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackhawkDriver
I have forwards on my fat bob, I love them for around town cruisin and under 60 mph rolling but I know what you mean about the highway and the wind pushing your feet off. I am considering switching to mids for this reason, but i don't think I can with my pipes and I really love these pipes.
There really is nothing like a set of floorboards. The stock HD ones let me stretch out when I want. For more stretching, I use a set of highway pegs once in a while. Sliding one's feet back of floorboards gives one just about a mid control position. Truly boards are the best of both worlds.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
There really is nothing like a set of floorboards. The stock HD ones let me stretch out when I want. For more stretching, I use a set of highway pegs once in a while. Sliding one's feet back of floorboards gives one just about a mid control position. Truly boards are the best of both worlds.

All depends on how you ride and what's comfortable, personally I think boards suck for comfort, so not the best for everyone.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mids and highway pegs on my Street Bob. I do not like riding with my feet that far forward unless I am going straight on the highway. My feet stay on the mids most of the time, I just use the highway pegs to stretch out on long ride. Personally, I did not notice the wind pushing anymore with my feet in either position, but maybe I just do not notice it.

Quick Reply: Why forward controls?