Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(another) thread needing cam advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Number15
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (another) thread needing cam advice...

I'm giving serious consideration to a cam upgrade, and wanted to see if any of you guys have had experience with the below options. I've read through many of the cam threads here, and done some online research, but haven't seen many head-to-head comparisons for the options I'm looking at.

From what I've been reading, I've seen three cam options that looked like they might be a good fit for me:
Wood TW-555
Screaming Eagle 254E
T-Man TR-600SM

Here's my current setup and what I'm looking for:
- 2010 Dyna Wide Glide w/ stock 96 motor
- Rinehart Cross Backs 2-into-2 exhaust
- Performance Machine super gas air intake
- Screaming Eagle Race Tuner
I'm looking for a boost in torque at the low end and throughout the low-to-mid level RPM range, covering as much of the 0-75 mph range as possible. I'm NOT as concerned about top end speed, killer pull over 70-80 mph or looking for performance peaks only near redline.

Have any of you guys running similar setups had experience with any of the above cams, or had any opportunity to compare? Any glowing reviews or horror stories? If all things are roughly equal from a performance gain perspective, I'd probably opt for the 254E route, if only to preserve my HD warranty.

Any thoughts or other recommendations welcome. Thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not one of the cams on your list, but I dropped in a set of 204 on my 08 Fat Bob with a big a/c and a Thunderheader with a TTS and my power band increased dramatically from low end to 100 mph where it still pulls hard, with the grind on the 204 the low end (which was my main objective) really increased along with the unsuspected mid and high end as well.
Only two mechs have ridden it other than myself and both were surprised, anyone on the back finds out fast you have to hold on tight. Its considered a "baby cam" by many but the performance is great.
Keep in mind its on an otherwise all but stock motor, I turned my rpms up to 6500 and haven had a red line falter yet, I'm pulling 63 or 64 with ease.
Just saying don't limit your options, look around some more. There are lots of good cams, the ones you mentioned included-I was thinking about the 555 but I may go to a 103 next yr and if I do I will be looking again-not sure the 204 would be a good fit for a 103.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
ratbob81
Advanced

I'll be keeping tabs on this. These are the results I wanted too.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 subscribed

Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Search the "Touring Models" forum. IMO, a good cam for a bagger is a perfect choice for a dyna. Fuel Moto has great success with the Woods TW-555 in both stock 96's and full-on 107's.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let you know how my bike runs after I install the TW-555 cam in my 88.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM
fchava
Intermediate

I have the TW555 in basically the same setup as you. I love it, but I am a RPM guy. I like keeping the RPM in mid range all the time. It bakes the tire all the way through 1st and hits the rev limiter at ease in the first 3 gears. 95MPH in 3rd never hit the limiter in first as i'm not really a high speed guy.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
TREEVIS
Novice

Curious to see where this goes too! Cam and tuner kit to come this fall!
Thats another question is the " favored" tuner?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Number15
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjlandry
Search the "Touring Models" forum. IMO, a good cam for a bagger is a perfect choice for a dyna. Fuel Moto has great success with the Woods TW-555 in both stock 96's and full-on 107's.
Thanks, this was helpful. Lots of threads over there discussing the topic, although most seem to be comparisons of the 255 and 254E. Seems the jury is split over there, some guys preferring each. As the 255 has been around longer, there's more experience there, and some feel it's a safer call.
Bunch of opinions on this thread there:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...254-se204.html

My HD service guy (who's always steered me right) recommends the 254E over the 255 for my FXDWG, saying the 255 is better suited for the heavier touring models. He says it would be a good selection for my setup (details in my initial post) whether I keep the stock 96, or opted for the 103 big bore upgrade. When I call him back tomorrow, I will inquire about that 204 cam that arnold mentions as well.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Wood TW-555...everyone seems to love it. Haven't seen much feedback on the T-Man TR-600SM...probably because it's a newer cam and not many guys are running it yet. I feel like I'd certainly be happy with the TW-555, but if I can get 90-95% of the performance out of the 254E and keep my warranty intact (my dealer will continue to honor warranty if the SE cams are installed there), I may opt for that. Right now I'm trying to research a little more about guys' real-world experience with the 254E, and back it up with some dyno sheets. There are a ton out there for the TW-555--many looking quite successful--but I haven't been able to find many head to head comparisons, or 254E dyno stats on a bike setup close to mine.

Attached are two 254E dyno sheets I found on this and other forums. First is a 2011 street glide w/ a 103 and upgraded intake and exhaust, second is a 2010 Ultra w/ a 103 and upgraded intake and exhaust. Seem to be similar curves to the TW-555, with slightly lower peaks, but a bit of a flatter curve.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Number15
Advanced

Hey guys, just wanted to follow up on this post in case there are guys still interested.
I spent a lot of time and did a lot of research on this, talked to a couple of engine builders, and I decided to go a dual route, with big bore and cam upgrade. Here's what I did, and why:

I ended up going with the SE 103ci big bore kit (103ci cyliders, flat top piston assemblies, high performance clutch spring). I went with the SE 254E cams. I was very interested in the TW-555 cam as well, but with my extended HD warranty and almost 4 years left on it, I figured that for what the numbers say is almost identical performance, I'd preserve my warranty (discussed details of this with my dealer first) and then if I want to revisit this in 4 years, I can look at whatever cam options I'll have at that time.

Some other benefits: Due to the lift on these cams, I did not have to upgrade with new valve springs or new adjustable / fixed pushrods, and did not have to port the heads. I was able to use all of the existing stock parts. Also, not only was the 254E recommended for use in the 96ci motor, but was told it was just as good if not a better fit with the 103ci motor. Also, I did not want to swap out the Stage I upgrades I'd already invested in (Rinehart Racing Crossbacks exhaust, Performance Machine Supergas air cleaner, Sreaming Eagle Race Tuner), and both of the builders I spoke to said the 254E was potentially a really nice match for those components, given what I was looking for as an end result.

The one other thing I did, on the advice of all the builders/service techs I spoke with, was install automatic compression releases to ease starting and stress on the motor with the higher compression rates in the new build.

I have not had a full dyno run done yet--I am a firm believer in not beating the **** out of a new or newly rebuilt motor until I've put 500-1000 miles on it, but I plan to do one at whatever point I bring the bike in for service or work after putting some miles on it. What I can tell you, via the seat-of-your-pants dyno test, is that I am extremely pleased with the results. It is exactly what I was looking for. I have more pull and power throughout the power band--not just at low torque, and not just at redline RPMs. I don't have to downshift for passing power on the highway in higher gears at higher RPMs, and if I really get on it in low gears at low RPMs, I feel like the front wheel is begging to pop off the road a la my sport bike days. The performance enhancements are smoothly distributed throughout my usable riding range, and the guy who remapped my tuning also did a bang up job on eliminating that annoying deceleration pop I'd often get after my initial Stage I work.

So, while I can't split out exactly what benefit was gained from each of the Stage I, big bore, cams, or tuning work upgrades, I can say for sure that it is a noticable difference, and the bike feels like it is performing at a much higher level--to the point where I feel like my next upgrade will be performance brakes!

Finally, it's only a crappy cell phone video, but hopefully the below is good enough to give you guys a little idea on the sound of the build. Revving the motor sounds much meaner in person, I can assure you! And as I said above, I will return and post up a dyno sheet when I get one done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1C2F5MiiUs

Last edited by Number15; 10-01-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: fixed video link

Quick Reply: (another) thread needing cam advice...