Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Can Wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM
bsljacques
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBoggs
Two ways to do it, using the motor's torque, if it has enough by stomping on the throttle going slow or by clutching it. Get your RPM's up and dump the clutch, if the clutch don't slip or tire spins up ya go.

Like I said before, this can't be good on the scoot, I can think of a number of items that probably don't care to much for wheelies.

Someone mentioned bagger wheelie, this guy rides a RG like a sport bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_jMGbvb9uY
WOW...is all I can say!!!! That guy is awesome...but glad it's his bike and not mine!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All day on a sport bike on the fxdwg not so much, can't see vids here at work so I will check em when I get home sounds like good entertainment.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i just dont believe that a wheelie every once and a while is going to hurt my machine. my 06 dyna has 55,000 miles of clutch dumping, burn outs, drag racing, and triple digit highway riding. not to mention blistering south texas heat, a geared down final drive ratio, and some oversized cams. If i wear out a few parts alittle early who cares because it sure was a fun ride.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I know I've had the front wheel off the ground a few times but "wheelie"...no! LOL. Had a kid down the street let me try his unicycle and for the life of me I could not stay on it. If I tried to do a wheelie on any bike I think I would end up on my back. I don't seem to have a sense of balance for one wheel.... got to have at least two on the ground. Looks like kick *** fun for those that can wheelie.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Sam E.
Intermediate

Never been good at finding the balance point. I can power wheelie and hold it up for a bit, but nothing like what these guys can do. A brother in our club ground the back of his fender off doing stright up and down wheelies. That old boy new how to toss around an FXR. Unfortunately diabetes took his foot. Damn shame.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
i just dont believe that a wheelie every once and a while is going to hurt my machine. my 06 dyna has 55,000 miles of clutch dumping, burn outs, drag racing, and triple digit highway riding. not to mention blistering south texas heat, a geared down final drive ratio, and some oversized cams. If i wear out a few parts alittle early who cares because it sure was a fun ride.

I didn't know the highway numbers got that high in Texas.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I don't believe a single statement that you made is true.

I also see nothing wrong with the guys getting together and seeing what they can do on a Harley. It's their bike and their skin. Personally, I admire their guts and skills.

I've wheelied a lot of bikes and never had a mechanical problem, nor bashed the manufacturer. I may have matured more now, but that just came with age, not in my mind and I'm certainly not a moron.

Loosen up, ih4x4, and stop worrying about what other people do on a deserted road. You sound like the kind of person that would call the cops if the neighbor's dog pooped in your yard.
+1
Some people on this forum exhibit less tolerance than a crotchety old Southern Baptist Klu Klux Klanner. (no offense to crotchety old Southern Baptist Klu Klux Klanners)

Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Fuzzman
Road Captain

Can go through all the gears on my dirt bike, for miles, when I had it. Same with my ATC,( 3 wheeler) for you youngins. All the time with my ZX6 I used to own. I'm a little older now, and certainly more cautious. I have never tried one on the Dyna. But I honestly think I would be to scared. So no can't do it. If do decide to, I will film it so you all can laugh at me.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I don't believe a single statement that you made is true.

I also see nothing wrong with the guys getting together and seeing what they can do on a Harley. It's their bike and their skin. Personally, I admire their guts and skills.

I've wheelied a lot of bikes and never had a mechanical problem, nor bashed the manufacturer. I may have matured more now, but that just came with age, not in my mind and I'm certainly not a moron.

Loosen up, ih4x4, and stop worrying about what other people do on a deserted road. You sound like the kind of person that would call the cops if the neighbor's dog pooped in your yard.
Really since when is riding a wheelie not part of motorcycling? I'm 53 and still love to Pop a Wheelie!

Now there is a big difference between popping a wheelie and riding one out indefinitely. Typically someone that can ride a wheelie can let it back down in a controlled fashion and not create a lot of stress to the steering neck area etc. Riding a wheelie is more about technique as power

Depending on the type of oiling system riding a wheelie can affect engine/transmission. If popping a short power wheelie is going to starve any part of the engine/transmission then I'd consider it a design flaw and wouldn't want any part of that bike except as a garage queen occasional rider.

If you want to learn how to wheelie go get a dirtbike and practice on a bike that will only suffer a couple of hundred dollars damage from flipping it... The act requires that you be able to use the rear brake as well as the throttle.

FWIW I'm power wheelie capable but gave up on riding them out many rear fenders ago

Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 PM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Wheelies are for those that like to have their transmission main bearing go out, their compensator go out, final drive belt break, shift the pressed crank and other things so that they can bash HD for their inferior product on these forums.

Only immature morons do that behavior.
People like you are the reason that I ride like I do.

Quick Reply: Who Can Wheelie?