Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy is it to rake out a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to rake out a Dyna?

Why, you might ask? I've just always liked the look of the raked out front end, like the new generation Wide Glide. And, is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T do this?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wideglide has rake in the neck and trees to rake your neck would be very expensive better off getting a wg

Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Any custom bike shop can rake the frame for you. It involves cutting and welding the neck. Expect to pay between 900 and 1200 dollars to have the work done. Then whatever the shop wants to install the extended fork tubes to match the rake. So to get back on the road you can expect to be right around $1,500 total. Raked trees and extended tubes will work for minor changes like 3 degrees and 4 over tubes, but not much more. Chopperkits are a straight bolt on for $1,800 and you do it yourself in the garage.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
FXSTS93
Cruiser

Had installed a kit from:
http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/
Took me about 8 hours (remove the race took most of the time!) and the bike rode great - just like it did stock, did take a little while to get use to the new turning radius.
If you go with a kit, you will get the tubes (unless you also buy lowers from them) and you have to install them or pay a shop to do it (usually an hour per $150 -$200)
Loved the bike - just wanted to go to a Springer
Nice thing about the kit opposed to the frame chop, you can take it off and go back if you don't like it.
Good Luck

Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

thanks for the link. those are really cool front ends. Look like they are high quality as well. Still sold on the springer front ends though . for the same money I could get a paughco (how the devil do you spell that anyway). springer.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would start with a wg, jmo...
(yea Im a little bias) lol.
06-08 are pretty raked out to start.
see my pics, I have a 2006

Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Why couldn't I just do some trees with a rake built in like these for @ $500? Am I missing something here?

http://www.hawghalters.com/triple-tr...es/cat_77.html

Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the Hawg Halters 4* trees on my WG for a total of 36* rake since the WG has 32 in the frame. I can feel a very slight difference in handling but nothing to complain about, now I do drag my right forward control more but if I was to extend my forks to make up the 1" lost it would worsen my trail, according to the calculators so I doubt I will do that.
The HHI trees are first rate and a simple install. I would not go more than 2* over stock with trees though, which is what I did. My stock trees were 2*.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Thanks 5441hog. I was thinking about going with 3* trees. The Low Rider has 1.5* in the trees currently, so I guess I would only be adding 1.5*. I guess my next question is, would this really give a raked looked having only 1.5* more? The Low Rider is said to have the 1.5* in the stock trees but it's difficult for me to see any difference when compared to a Super Glide.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JT-FXDL
Thanks 8541hog. I was thinking about going with 3* trees. The Low Rider has 1.5* in the trees currently, so I guess I would only be adding 1.5*. I guess my next question is, would this really give a raked looked having only 1.5* more? The Low Rider is said to have the 1.5* in the stock trees but it's difficult for me to see any difference when compared to a Super Glide.
Look at the difference between the frame neck and fork tubes, that is where you should see it. The LR always had more rake than all other Dyna's except the WG, pre 06 the WG and LR used the same 32* frame.

I have heard the LR has 1.5* too, but I have not been able to verify that with actual HD literature. If it is true, then 3* should be no problem, you would lose about an inch in height up front and based on mine that is hardly noticeable.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to rake out a Dyna?