Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken exhaust bracket stud!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Fixintu
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken exhaust bracket stud!

I just noticed last night while giving my Fat Bob a once over that the exhaust bracket lower mounting stud is broken off. I bought the bike last September and changed to the D&D Fat Cat 2-1 in January of this year. Installation was done by me per D&D's instructions and the Harley service manual for torque specs. I haven't had a bit of trouble until now! I called the dealer and spoke to the service manager to see if they would cover it under warranty. NOT. He said that if they had installed the exhaust they would cover it but since I did the install they would not. I pointed out that the stud BROKE. The stud acts as one of the transmission side cover bolts so it is torqued at the factory when the tranny is assembled. The bracket then attaches to it with a self locking nut. The nut was torqued to spec. Grrrrr. Anyway, they won't be seeing my bike any time soon. It hasn't been back there for work since I bought it cause I don't believe in paying $330 for a glorified oil change (service) so I have done all my own work. ANYWHO, anyone else have this happen with the studs on the exhaust mount? I have no idea what it would cost to have the stud piece removed as it will have to be drilled out. I've got the other stud and bolt so what if I just let it ride and hope for the best? Potential leak from the tranny? Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Broken exhaust bracket stud!-brokenstudred.jpg  

Last edited by Fixintu; 08-02-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I recently noticed both studs broken on mine. I went to the dealer to get the new studs, and the service guy said they'd fix it under warranty. I have the stock headpipe with Rush slip-ons. Maybe it depends on the dealer; is there another one in your area you can call?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:41 PM
CigarDogHD
Intermediate

I've seen posts before about this. Definitely check with another dealer. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Dr Matt
Cruiser

i noticed recently one of mine was broken also. the upper left one in your picture. and the nut was missing off the lower. will try to fix when i swap the exhaust..

Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Testacleeze
Novice

I have a 2009 FXDF. Exact same thing happened to me. The dealer said is was a known problem. They fixed it under warranty. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Fixintu
Cruiser

I'll be calling Harley customer service tomorrow on this and see what they have to say. That stud shouldn't have broken like that.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

I'd put the stock exhaust back on and take it in for warranty service.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine came out with the nut attached like it was a bolt - I've taken it on and off a few times since that and still works the same. EDM might be a better way to remove it - wont damage the case.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Fixintu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Mine came out with the nut attached like it was a bolt - I've taken it on and off a few times since that and still works the same. EDM might be a better way to remove it - wont damage the case.
EDM? What is that? Exceptionally Delicate Method?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

EDM - simple answer is spark erosion

Quick Reply: Broken exhaust bracket stud!