Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner primary question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:53 AM
naughtynigel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inner primary question

Hi ,
06 dynas, 88" twin cams,

Is there anybody out there that has'nt had a bearing problem,? at higher milages ,say 15k plus ?
The reason that I ask is because I only got to do about 2500 miles this year, its unlikly that I will get many more done before next summer,at this rate by the time I get to 10,000 miles the bike will be out of warranty.
Wonder if the 07 models will be having the same problem,
Of course my dealer has not heard of any problems with the primary at all (what a suprise !)
Some of the other posts have mentioned the positioning of a bearing retaining clip blocking an oil passage, how hard is this to see is it in the primary case or behind that on the motor it's self?
I'm a bit concerned because the bike has just started to make a different noise and I am sure that the dealer will say there is nothing wrong if I take it back.
They dont seem to have any problems on any of the bikes they sell, funny that , maybe they are just really lucky.
Think I might get a second opinion from another dealer or an independant.

Please reply , especialy if your from the uk.
and of course all our colonial cousins.

Cheers

Nige

Old 11-12-2006, 10:12 AM
WillieC
Road Master
Default RE: inner primary question

These are very good and valid questions.

I have the same concerns and will look forward to answers.

I am also curious what it would cost to replace inner pri bearing
out of warranty.

WillieC

Old 11-12-2006, 10:27 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Far as I am concerned there will be warranty in place for the bearing.Seeeing they intially called for replacement at 15k then decided its ok.I have the paperwork from when buying bike that had to sighn for the 15k service and then later letter saying no longer necsasry.To date I have 17.5k miles on it no bearing trouble yet.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:51 AM
naughtynigel
Advanced

Willie & 06dyna.

Thanks for replying,

17.5 k with no bearing problems makes me feel a little better.
I dont remember signing for the service paperwork I will have to dig it out and check.

Its a beautiful, sunny November day here , not too cold about 10-12 degrees C (about 20 miles North East of London) I'm going to get the bike out and go for a ride.

Cheers

Nigel

Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

the dealer was suppose to give you a thing to sign.saying harley knows these are somewhat defective.and harley will replace it even after warranty,they did me on my 06 bob. they did same for my brother on his 06 .

Old 11-12-2006, 11:16 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

this was the paper had when purchased bike.then few months later got a letter from harley saying it was no longer needed.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah........I got both letters too......but I have heard some people attribute the bearing failure to using syn3 in the trans. Others say poor heat treating on some parts. But I found it strange for a manufacturer to send a letter which was an addendum to the owners manual that they would replace the bearing at no charge at 15,000 miles and then send another letter saying "hey just kidding....don't pay any attention to what we said earlier...your bearing is fine". What happened there? Is there a tiny little man in my transmission who called the MoCo to report that everything in there was fine even though they said it wasn't? Maybe the Harley Davidson Chief Bearing guy is a psychic and can see inside my trans with his mind?

I'm sticking with the tiny man in my trans theory.......makes more sense.......sure hope he likes the Redline gear oil...

Old 11-12-2006, 12:14 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

why would u use syn 3 in trans when in manual it calls for the formula plus?also using the dino oil in engine as far as the evo i had it had over 100k miles before tradin with the dino oil also

Old 11-12-2006, 12:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

HD says syn3 is good for all 3 holes and the CVO bikes are factory filled with syn3 in the trans. I'm using Redline Shockproof heavy gear oil in mine.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

I think most of us have decided Syn3 is a big no no in the trans........ Harley, too.

Funny thing is, Harley questions the use of anything other than HD oils, when there is a problem.

I hope they don't F@#K things up too much when they do my nuetral recall, and replace my primary bearing, and 02 sensors.

DougJ

Quick Reply: inner primary question