Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner primary question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:19 PM
naughtynigel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: inner primary question

All my lubes have been done at the dealer ship so they are what ever the company recomends ....... presumably ?

Nige

Old 11-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: naughtynigel

Hi ,
06 dynas, 88" twin cams,

Is there anybody out there that has'nt had a bearing problem,? at higher milages ,say 15k plus ?
The reason that I ask is because I only got to do about 2500 miles this year, its unlikly that I will get many more done before next summer,at this rate by the time I get to 10,000 miles the bike will be out of warranty.
Wonder if the 07 models will be having the same problem,
Of course my dealer has not heard of any problems with the primary at all (what a suprise !)
Some of the other posts have mentioned the positioning of a bearing retaining clip blocking an oil passage, how hard is this to see is it in the primary case or behind that on the motor it's self?
I'm a bit concerned because the bike has just started to make a different noise and I am sure that the dealer will say there is nothing wrong if I take it back.
They dont seem to have any problems on any of the bikes they sell, funny that , maybe they are just really lucky.
Think I might get a second opinion from another dealer or an independant.

Please reply , especialy if your from the uk.
and of course all our colonial cousins.

Cheers

Nige

Nige,

I (from the UK also) was wondering too. Mainly because I don't want the dealer 5,000 sevice. It's like 200 GBP just to change the 3 oils and maybe screw up your clutch adjustment.

But.... what happens if the inner primary bearing lets go.

I might just risk it. The cost of the bits are minimal with just day or so out of your weekend to strip the primary I suppose.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Bultaco29
5th Gear

I think that HD should be responsible for the inner primary bearing forever. It's even in my owners manual
about the 15000 mile check on the bearing. By sending us a letter, that didn't make the problem go away.
I have the 7 year warrenty on my 06 dyna, so it's their problem for a while. I'm ordering a bearing, race
and seal so they can't put me down for 3 weeks again with the bearing being back ordered. Also I still can't
get my dealer to talk to the tech people at HD. Or thats what he is telling me. Maybe we should start us a
list of the dealers that say they don't anything about this problem. That would say something about them.

Bultaco29

Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 AM
naughtynigel
Advanced

Hi oilslick,

I have spoken to a couple of independent h-d shops about this ,(one in watford, and one near the ace cafe) and they have both said that the warranty would not be affected by using them for routine servicing etc.... because they get their genuine parts from ,Ahem.. proper (genuine) dealers, I am informed that they also have experianced H-D mechanics.
The two indee,s I have mentioned have labour cost's of around £30.00 per hour, compare that to the dealer labour of around £100.00 ph !
Any one this side of the pond know any different ?
God ,it's hard to type with a 6 month baby on my knee!
Stop !touching the buttons!

Nige[:@]

Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Nige, an independant is probably the answer.

I'll be glad in a way when the warranty has run out.