Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the deal with cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
bmcgc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the deal with cruise?

Ive read several threads from people who say they have the RK cruise on a dyna.

Lots of claims but no specifics.

I read the RK cruise instructions. From what I can tell the only issue is the plug that goes into the control module. Does that plug exist on the Dyna or would I have to disassemble the wring harness and make that plug myself?

Many dont see a need for cruise control. Ever been in West Texas or up in the Oklahoma/Texas panhandle? Cruise is nice.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do realize that RK have "throttle by wire"! And to my knowledge ( maybe it's changed for 2012 and beyond) but most DYNA's DO NOT?
Cruise control on a drive by wire bike is done with the throttle control.
i.e. drive by wire software! That function does not present in a cable controlled system!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM
bmcgc
Banned

Originally Posted by FBRR
You do realize that RK have "throttle by wire"! And to my knowledge ( maybe it's changed for 2012 and beyond) but most DYNA's DO NOT?
Cruise control on a drive by wire bike is done with the throttle control.
i.e. drive by wire software! That function does not present in a cable controlled system!

Have you been off-planet?

TBW on a HD has existed for 4 years.

Cable throttle has existed for over 100 years.

Are you aware that HD offers a cable operated cruise control for the pre-TBW bikes?

Did you do a search and read that several people on here claim to have modified a RK cable operated cruise control on their cable operated Dynas?

Im guessing you just made a knee jerk response to a thread that you know nothing about.

No worries, you are forgiven.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcgc
Have you been off-planet?

TBW on a HD has existed for 4 years.

Cable throttle has existed for over 100 years.

Are you aware that HD offers a cable operated cruise control for the pre-TBW bikes?

Did you do a search and read that several people on here claim to have modified a RK cable operated cruise control on their cable operated Dynas?

Im guessing you just made a knee jerk response to a thread that you know nothing about.

No worries, you are forgiven.
Your reading comprehension is as good as your logic.
I do know Harley has TBW for several years. ( Not on a Dyna!)
Dyna's as far as I know are still cable systems.
The RK is however a TBW, as such the Cruise system software controls the throttle blade not the CABLE! As that doesn't exsist!
And while "some here" may have "modified" a RoadKing cruise for a DYNA, the control software is not designed to function with a cable!
I merely pointed out ( as I do know the software! and Have calibrated Cruise control systems with the same SOFTWARE) that "adapting" TBW system to "function" with a cable control, might get a result! But the poster should understand the cruise will not have ALL the functions a normal cruise control would have in a true TBW system!

Now, how many cruise control systems have you or the "lads" that cobbled in a RK cruise system on a Dyna actual done? What are the pitfalls of doing such a "cobble"? What are the risks?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
bmcgc
Banned

Im not following your logic at all.

Explain to me the difference between my cable throttle and the cable throttle from a 2007 RK.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRR
Your reading comprehension is as good as your logic.
I do know Harley has TBW for several years. ( Not on a Dyna!)
Dyna's as far as I know are still cable systems.
The RK is however a TBW, as such the Cruise system software controls the throttle blade not the CABLE! As that doesn't exsist!
And while "some here" may have "modified" a RoadKing cruise for a DYNA, the control software is not designed to function with a cable!
I merely pointed out ( as I do know the software! and Have calibrated Cruise control systems with the same SOFTWARE) that "adapting" TBW system to "function" with a cable control, might get a result! But the poster should understand the cruise will not have ALL the functions a normal cruise control would have in a true TBW system!

Now, how many cruise control systems have you or the "lads" that cobbled in a RK cruise system on a Dyna actual done? What are the pitfalls of doing such a "cobble"? What are the risks?
2007 and older touring bikes had cables just like the Dyna's do. The earlier cruise control units had a cable that attached to the throttle body just like the idle/accelerator cables do. If you look at most of the throttle bodys they have an extral slot for a third cable (cruise control). Might want to get your facts straight before you go blasting people on the internet, just makes you look like an ***.

This is for a Softail but a Dyna installation would be similar.
http://www.cruisemount.com/
http://www.cruisemount.com/installation.html

Last edited by ackman1968; 08-01-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
wornknobby3
Advanced

maybe you guys are talking way over sophisticated than my understanding, but my cruise control on my dyna is just a set screw you turn in to hold the throttle in place

Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wornknobby3
maybe you guys are talking way over sophisticated than my understanding, but my cruise control on my dyna is just a set screw you turn in to hold the throttle in place
Simple and works great!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Works great, yes it does! There are those that want the legitimate thing though and more power to them. Problem is the it looks like the earlier CABLE style cruise control units are NLA so it comes down to a Softail unit. Have to admit it would be nice to have the bike hold it's speed up and down hill like regular cruise does.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
bmcgc
Banned

The thumb screw is an option, but like I say go west out of OK City on I-40 for 2 days, cruise is nice.

Quick Reply: Whats the deal with cruise?