Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, no problems
58.37%
Yes, problems- please explain
8.57%
No, want one
10.20%
No, why not?
22.86%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Windsheild yes/no

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:45 AM
2BKFXDL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windsheild yes/no

I always run my windsheild...........like someone said.....80+ on frequent trips demands the need for one in my book.

Does it look as cool?........well, no, not really. But, a windsheild can look cool also.

I have no desire to get more of the $hit beat outta me than I have already had beat outta me in the last 25 years.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had one until the wife continued to complain about the amount of wind she was getting on the back. So I cave and bought one. Hate the look, love the function. Now the wife rides her own and I still have the windshield. Like I said, I detest the look of the thing, however it does have a use. It stays unless I am just going for a short ride.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I made some extension type brackets to kick out the bottom of my HD quik release shield about 2". I finally got a chance to try it for a few miles in some ungodly wind. Seemed to work great at stopping the buffeting problem. I ran her up to 75 and by raising my hand up in front of myself I felt the wind which was coming up over the top of the shield, hitting me at the top of my helmet, yet the top of the shield itself was about nose high on my face. No problem seeing over it at all. I just don't lilke the way the glass flexes at the top under such high wind pressure. But it held firm and stopped the buffeting, as far as I could tell with the wind blowing so hard. I suppose the real test will be on the highway at 75 for 20 miles or so with wind speeds being a bit more nominal. I've decided tho whenever I'm scootin 'round town it'll be shieldless, but long rides will have it on. I'm just not wanting to spend long bucks for one of those National 2up Switchblades if I can help it.....

Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

Not a big fan of the looks but on < 40 degree days (like today) I break out my Memphis Fats (if your going to do it...) gradiant black shield and my full-face helmet.Been a motorcyclist for 29 yearsand do whatever it takes to squeeze every possible day out ofour short Midwest riding season.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11891/DF2E2AD89D3A42F4B2CBD5105E017D99.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes I use a windshield time to time and in colder months just instaled a windvest
on my 05 FXDL

[IMG]local://upfiles/28797/FAA3BDFE99144C4AB8C7D9379B5FA532.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior

Yes, it helps to extned the season up here in the north.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be 70 this year. Riding since 1953. Never considered a w/s. Have thought about it lately though, mostly for cold weather riding.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm about to buy a HD quick release - Standard height.... Will only use it on long rides and cold weather.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Drexor69
Tourer

ORIGINAL: warren888

Man... do people get touchy around here with their image thing.

I like the windshield for long trips - just plain comfort & warmth in the cold season.

The quick release is easy to take off when I want the cruiser look.

I actually think HD windshields don't take away too much from the bike - they fit the lines pretty well.

What he said.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 PM
DynaSport
Advanced

I'd never has a WS until I bought my latest ride 4 years ago. I bought it used and it came with one. I tried riding with and without it and I have to say with it was much more comfortable to me to have it on. And comfort does matter to me. So, I leave my WS on most of the time now. I have been through three shields though, trying to find something that buffets less at 75 MPH. I know on the Dynas it is a common problem with wind coming up from underneath. I have bought and out on the Memphis Shades lowers, with my HD shield. I don't like the way they look at all, but they do seem to improve, but not completely solve the issue. I don't normally keep them on the bike though. I did 1100 miles the other day without them. Now that was a long ride, but with the comfort things I have done to my bike I was mainly just sleepy at the end, not sore.

So, for those who don't want a WS, I say good for you. If you enjoy riding more without one, or if you just can't enjoy the ride because you are concerned about how it looks, good for you. I am more concerned with my comfort and safety now, so I ride with one. I even did the unthinkable and bought a full face helmet the other day. It has its drawbacks, but my hearing is going and my little skid lid was LOUD at highway speeds. Now I hope to be able to hear my grandkids laughin 5-10 years when I have some.

Dan

Quick Reply: Windsheild yes/no