Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st day DynaWG problem! Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:47 PM
tylerdynaWG
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st day DynaWG problem! Help

Hey Guys, !st time on the site. I have a problem, just rode my new 06 Dyna Wide Glide home from the dealership. I took it for a ride after the dealership closed and of coarse the check engine and battery like come on after I get up to speed. Bike still runs fine but I'm worried. By the way, the salersperson who set the bike up for me and showded me where all the bells and whistles were told me to let the check engine light go off before I fired her up. Well, I guess I forgot. He told me on the phone He saw me through the window turn on the ignition and immediately fire it up. He said that would cazuse a "foul". Been riding a 05 sportster 1200 for the last 2 seasons and haven't had to worry about the check engine light. It will be tuesday before the dealership opens and I would like to ride tommorow. Any Solutions or suggestions???

Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 1st day DynaWG problem! Help

I doubt it's too much of a problem, if the bike is running fine. You might want to try and un hook the battery for like 2 min to clear the computer's memory. You want to wait for the light to go out so the fuel pump has time to prime. Fuel injected, not like the sporty with a Carb.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Dude welcome to the forum. You threw a code because you have to wait for the little yellow light to go out. That is the fuel pump priming the fuel injection system. You can do a search on "check engine light" then print out the page on how bring up the code and clear it. Go find out which code number it is and post it here or PM the number to me. ( I'll look it up in my service manual). I had a loose spark plug wire on the rear cylinder and mine kept throwing codes.....easy to diagnose and clear. I do think the code will clear itself after you start the bike about 30 times. BUt you should learn to pull up the numbers and read them so you aren't wasting a lot of time going back to the dealer. I highly recommend you buy a service manual. You can get one at Zanotti's HD on line for about $45.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:17 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you triggered a code. You can clear the code by using the trip button the console. If my mind serves me right, you hold the button in as your turn the key to the on position. You can clear by holding the button in once the code number comes up.

Sorry but it has been awhile since I pulled the code and the bike isn't in my garage tonight

Old 11-12-2006, 12:44 AM
madelf
Tourer

you have to wait for the little yellow light to go out.
That's weird.
Is that just certain models? No one ever mentioned that when I got my '07 Bob and I've never done it. I just lean over, turn the key on, switch the kill button on, and hit the starter. Have I just been lucky and the light's gone off in the time it takes me to go through the motions?

Old 11-12-2006, 12:57 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Probably just lucky.......mine takes about 2-3 seconds to go out.......but he may have another issue and should read the code.

ORIGINAL: madelf

That's weird.
Is that just certain models? No one ever mentioned that when I got my '07 Bob and I've never done it. I just lean over, turn the key on, switch the kill button on, and hit the starter. Have I just been lucky and the light's gone off in the time it takes me to go through the motions?

Old 11-12-2006, 12:58 AM
madelf
Tourer

Hmmm...

Thanks. I'll have to watch for that from here on.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Cav
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: madelf

That's weird.
They were pretty darn specific about it when I picked up my '07 Dyna, and I've observed it since I got it. Sounds like the dealer neglected the "walk through" when you took delivery. You can hear the fuel pump clicking away building pressure when you first turn on ignition.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:04 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

ORIGINAL: tylerdynaWG

Hey Guys, !st time on the site. I have a problem, just rode my new 06 Dyna Wide Glide home from the dealership. I took it for a ride after the dealership closed and of coarse the check engine and battery like come on after I get up to speed. Bike still runs fine but I'm worried. By the way, the salersperson who set the bike up for me and showded me where all the bells and whistles were told me to let the check engine light go off before I fired her up. Well, I guess I forgot. He told me on the phone He saw me through the window turn on the ignition and immediately fire it up. He said that would cazuse a "foul". Been riding a 05 sportster 1200 for the last 2 seasons and haven't had to worry about the check engine light. It will be tuesday before the dealership opens and I would like to ride tommorow. Any Solutions or suggestions???
I went down that same road, this Link should point you in the right direction.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:06 AM
madelf
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Cav
They were pretty darn specific about it when I picked up my '07 Dyna, and I've observed it since I got it. Sounds like the dealer neglected the "walk through" when you took delivery. You can hear the fuel pump clicking away building pressure when you first turn on ignition.
They did the walk-through, but they didn't mention that bit. The guy didn't wait when he demonstrated the starting either, just turned the key, flipped the kill switch to run & hit the button.

I've never noticed any clicking sound when I first turn it on... not that I've been listening for it, and usually have my helmet on by then. Probably there though.

I'll make sure I give it time in the future.

Quick Reply: 1st day DynaWG problem! Help