Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rise and pullback of stock superglide bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011 | 11:55 PM
Just trails
|
6th Gear
Default Rise and pullback of stock superglide bars

Does anyone know the rise and pullback measurements of the stock super glide handlebars? I'm close to buying a 2012 and like the look of the Carlini super sweeps but am not sure which ones to go with. The placement of the stock grips is okay for me. Meaning where they are in terms of rise and pullback. I just don't like the position of the grips or the overall look of that style. So I'm trying to get bars from Carlini that would put my grips at about the same place but more horizontally positioned. An inch higher and/or further back would be okay, but not much more than that either way. Also, would the 1 1/2" bars look too big and bulky? Anyone have them? Thanks in advance for any helpful info you can direct my way. I did search the forum first and didn't find an answer to this specific question.

Old 07-31-2011 | 01:06 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

The numbers are in the parts and accessories book but also in this thread - post number 6

Old 07-31-2011 | 01:17 AM
roofer
Road Master

Go to the Flanders handlebar web site they have them there

Old 07-31-2011 | 01:58 AM
caaraa
Banned

I am not optimistic about 2012

Old 07-31-2011 | 02:45 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Just trails
Does anyone know the rise and pullback measurements of the stock super glide handlebars? I'm close to buying a 2012 and like the look of the Carlini super sweeps but am not sure which ones to go with. The placement of the stock grips is okay for me. Meaning where they are in terms of rise and pullback. I just don't like the position of the grips or the overall look of that style. So I'm trying to get bars from Carlini that would put my grips at about the same place but more horizontally positioned. An inch higher and/or further back would be okay, but not much more than that either way. Also, would the 1 1/2" bars look too big and bulky? Anyone have them? Thanks in advance for any helpful info you can direct my way. I did search the forum first and didn't find an answer to this specific question.
Don't know about the newest models, but the 2003 to 2010 Superglides had 6" height, 29" width and 10" pullback, '06 to '10 customs had 6.5"h, 30.5"w and 11" pb.

I'd shoot for about 8"h x 30.5"w x 7"pb to 9"pb if you have short arms. The 1.25" inch bars work and look great.

Old 07-31-2011 | 10:10 AM
Just trails
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
Don't know about the newest models, but the 2003 to 2010 Superglides had 6" height, 29" width and 10" pullback, '06 to '10 customs had 6.5"h, 30.5"w and 11" pb.

I'd shoot for about 8"h x 30.5"w x 7"pb to 9"pb if you have short arms. The 1.25" inch bars work and look great.
Thanks, Hemi. Just curious why you suggest 7"-9" pb if I have short arms when the stock is 11" pullback. Wouldn't I want more pb than stock if I have short arms? Or am I misunderstanding something about this. (which is quite possible!) PS: Your bike looks awesome. Very cool and it also gives me a visual on the handlebars.

Old 08-01-2011 | 12:34 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Just trails
Thanks, Hemi. Just curious why you suggest 7"-9" pb if I have short arms when the stock is 11" pullback. Wouldn't I want more pb than stock if I have short arms? Or am I misunderstanding something about this. (which is quite possible!) PS: Your bike looks awesome. Very cool and it also gives me a visual on the handlebars.
Well, I probably have longer arms and the 9" pb was too much, the 7" was just right.

I don't think you can really compare them to the buckhorns, they are just too ill fitting and wrong. But, due to their design and how they are measured, the 10" pb of my hated buckhorns seemed less than the 9" pb of another set of T-bars that I tried. The buckhorns were close to the right pb, but just too uncomfortable.

In other words, my recommended 9" pb for shorter arms should give you the reach you desire and be a lot more ergonomic that the buckhorns, yet feel closer to you.

My 9" pb t-bars that were too close were J&P #500-880, the one that I finally decided on was the J&P #500-883. If you want more pb check out J&P #500-881.
Due to my riser mounted speedo/tach, the super-radiused 880 and hence the 881 had too much lay back and hid my speedo from view. My solution was the 883, but it gave me what I wanted.

It's a tough call for you between the 880 and the 881. There are more bars out there, but for the price, quality and ease of exchange, I suggest J&P. I have several T-bars, risers and drag bars that I've bought in the past year just trying to find nirvana and it was nice to finally be able to exchange a mistake for the cost of shipping, instead of piling it with a bunch of other parts in the loft.

I'd still suggest the 880 and go from there.

Old 08-01-2011 | 04:03 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior

My observation is that once you start going past about 7" of pullback the grip angle becomes too uncomfortable and not natural. It may seem fine for a little while but after about 30-40 min of riding it seems like you wrist just can't get into the right spot. This is what makes those buckhorn bars so annoying for most.

Old 08-02-2011 | 02:04 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
My observation is that once you start going past about 7" of pullback the grip angle becomes too uncomfortable and not natural. It may seem fine for a little while but after about 30-40 min of riding it seems like you wrist just can't get into the right spot. This is what makes those buckhorn bars so annoying for most.
Very true. Your arms should flow naturally to the grips and your wrists should be straight with your forearms. It's really not entirely the pullback distance, it's the entire bar, bend and width to match your own ergos that you need to take into consideration. 7" of pullback worked for best for me and I've been everywhere between 4-1/2" to 10".

I also like my elbows to have a slight and relaxed bend and the control levers to align with my wrist angle.