Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got that harley sound...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:41 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally got that harley sound...

Bought the '06 in July, but hadn't decided on what kind of aftermarket pipes. I wanted a low rumble sound, but not too loud.

I've actually reached the conclusion that there isn't anything with the volume I want (ALL of them are too loud), but I put on a set of Khrome Werks 3" HP Plus slipons, and man, the tone is nice.

I can finally hear the bike on the highway (and I would imagine so can the cars around me). And I no longer own a very expensive vacuum cleaner (the sound of the stock pipes).

Huge differnet in low-end torque as well. I actually have to adjust my riding habits (gearing). I rarely used 6th gear previously, because I had to be going around 80+ to have the RPMs high enough. But now it is quite happy in 6th at 2800 RPM.

I am not used to the louder exhaust, so it sounds REALLY loud to me, but I compared it against a few friends today. I would estimate it is similar to SE II in volume (maybe just a hair louder). Excellent tone & workmanship - can't say enough good things about Khrome Werks.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finally got that harley sound...

The hardest part is finding what works for you. I was lucky enough to find the right pipes after only one set

Old 11-11-2006, 07:50 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Any pics of the ride with those pipes ? Just wondering if they look like my Vance and Hines slip ons.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:04 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to take a picture - don't have any yet.

The 3" HP Plus (which are new - lower pitch sound - they have a 2.5" slip on as well) is almost the same diameter as the stock muffler.

They have two versions - one a baloney cut (which I have), and the other is tapered to look just like stock.

THe baloney cut is a very nice angle, I think it looks really nice.

Their 2.5" apparently looks more like a straight pipe - similar diameter to the heat shield on the header pipes.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

It's amazing how important sound is to the overall "Harley experience." Glad you're happy with your choice! I took off a set of V & H Short Shorts because I didn't like the sound, even though they looked cool as Hell.

Z

Old 11-11-2006, 09:06 PM
SKT
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its all about that sound...It's important, and those who dont ride have no clue!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:25 PM
JerrySC
Cruiser

I love my SEIIs! (The real ones.) Not too loud, not too quiet.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some narrow (1 and 3/4?) drags on my '77 sporty many years ago and they barked pretty good. My '04 WG has V&H Big Radius pipes and they bark too, but at least they have baffles, of some sort...

Yes, sound does make the experience. I ride my kid's Suzuki GSXR 600 sometimes and it feels, and sounds like a sewing machine. Well, a sewing machine with warp drive, but still a sewing machine. I Love my Vance and Hines, but not sure my neighbors do. I take it easy in the neighborhood though - I'm considerate of my fellow man, but not on the freeway - want them to hear me so they don't kill me. Plus, it sounds awsome riding right next to a concrete retaining wall at 75

Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 PM
steamerz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the 2-1/2 HP plus slash cut on my Dyna! Love them, deep tone yet not extremely loud

Old 11-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Timmer
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: JerrySC

I love my SEIIs! (The real ones.) Not too loud, not too quiet.
Amen to that Jerry![sm=smiley20.gif] Tim

Quick Reply: Finally got that harley sound...