Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amsoil voids factory warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just talked to manager at another dealer in my area about using Amsoil,even though he would rather me use Syn3 he knew of no adverse affects from using Amsiol or any major failures do to oil issues.And to prove that a failure was due to a inferior oil was not cost effective to Harley D,So once again I have to step back and look at my selling dealer,which I thought was a up front dealer to just being a place that sells bikes and their products for their gain only and I understand business equals profit,I was a service manager in 4 major car dealerships but I never tried to screw my customers, paying or warranty, what ever happened to good honest dealers.I'm very disappointed and more pissed off then any thing else.Thanks for all the input on this subject the best info that I have found is right here on this Forum thanks again.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone11B
I use amsoil and have for a while, Never had a problem.

oh and your dealer is an idiot.
+1. On that

Old 07-28-2011, 12:51 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used Amsoil 20w50 in the motor, primary & trans for the last 41,800 miles with no problems.
My friend has done the same for over 60,000 miles with his 07 Street Bob... also no problem.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
killerk95
Club Member

Yep, it's right there on the same shelf next to the HD dino & Syn3. It's good to go. In fact the AMSOIL is far superior to the Syn3 (HUGO CHAVEZ) as the Syn3 is only 60% synthetic from what I understand. Ride safe....

Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off I think your Stealership is off base. How would they even know what type of oil you’re using anyway?

I don’t have a lot of experience with using Amsoil however I’ve done some research and it appears to come out on top in most categories. I had my first fluid change done at an Indy but I think the next one I’m going to do myself and I’ll probably go with Amsoil or Mobile 1, not sure yet. I’m not sure about the primary/trans, don’t know whether to use the same (20W/50) in all holes or choose something like Redline.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
Just talked to manager at another dealer in my area about using Amsoil,even though he would rather me use Syn3
Thats cause thats what he sells.
If he was a Amsoil dealer guess what...
He would say he preferred amsoil. its just the game!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain

Your right about the game and I don't mind playing if I have chance too win.or at least make a good showing.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't forget one more thing: if you have ever pulled in your clutch lever with any of the digits on your left hand, that also voids an HD warranty.

Incidentally, you never sat on the seat did you...Oh, no! Don't tell the MoCo.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
That depends, I don't know anything about Amsoil so I have to ask, Is it diesel rated? Harley owners manuals specify Diesel rated oil, If its not the proper rating warrantee can be voided because of wrong spec oil, not because of any particular brand.
In the manual it says if you need to add oil to get out of a bind and can't get HD oil you can substitute a diesel rated 15w40 to get you to a servicing dealer. I never really looked at HD's oil to see if it carried the diesel rating, I'm curious now..... You are correct about not meeting their specs, if there was a failure and your oil is not rated for their minimum specs you will be denied warranty.

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
I was a service manager in 4 major car dealerships
Not to be a dick but with those credentials I would have thought you would have called bullshit on the spot. Anyone that works in a dealership should be aware of the laws governing warranty.

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Don't forget one more thing: if you have ever pulled in your clutch lever with any of the digits on your left hand, that also voids an HD warranty.

Incidentally, you never sat on the seat did you...Oh, no! Don't tell the MoCo.
That's what makes it ok to mod the bike on the first day home!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe he just washed cars at the dealership.

Quick Reply: amsoil voids factory warranty?