Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield question for FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
by64
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield question for FXDC

After a 500 mile ride on Saturday, maybe its time to step up to a windshield on the Super Glide Custom. Just don't want to fight the wind on the long trips any more. My first question is about buffeting. I've heard from some riders that they would rather put up with consistent wind then the buffeting from the windshield. The second question is what brand and size recommendations (I am 5'10").

Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am 5'7 and I bought the HD compact quick detach smoked windshield from HD. I freaking loved the thing when I went on my last 1400 mile round trip road trip. Installs and detaches in seconds, leaves NO HARDWARE on the bike, looks good and performed flawlessly for me. NO Buffeting for ME at all. I have one sitting in my closet that I would sell you cheap as I moved back home to Oahu and dont use any more, but shipping would kill the cost of it.

I cant recommend it enough. Some folks dont like it but I have had no issues with it.

Side note: some folks prefer to look THROUGH a shield, and some like to look OVER it. I like to look OVER it. So choose your shield appropriately with regard to height.

For reference, here is a link to one like mine on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...#ht_507wt_1161

Cheers,

Tom

Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a 14" tinted windvest. They are expensive but I love the look and no buffetting. I personally wouldn't look through a windshield, always over...

Attached Thumbnails Windshield question for FXDC-rudy-006.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
pol-cat
Novice

Originally Posted by by64
After a 500 mile ride on Saturday, maybe its time to step up to a windshield on the Super Glide Custom. Just don't want to fight the wind on the long trips any more. My first question is about buffeting. I've heard from some riders that they would rather put up with consistent wind then the buffeting from the windshield. The second question is what brand and size recommendations (I am 5'10").
im 5-7 i went with the H D touring shield and really like it..most costly but i read threads here that said it worked well and it does giving good wind protection with little or no buffeting at 70plus for 600 mi so far for me..it looks good on my black fxdc and goes on and off fast and well worth it for long distance trip..jmo

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
by64
6th Gear

Originally Posted by pol-cat
im 5-7 i went with the H D touring shield and really like it..most costly but i read threads here that said it worked well and it does giving good wind protection with little or no buffeting at 70plus for 600 mi so far for me..it looks good on my black fxdc and goes on and off fast and well worth it for long distance trip..jmo
With HD Touring are you looking through the shield or over it?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
tdegroot
Cruiser

I'm 5'10" also. I don't remember which quick detacable I bought, but it's clear and I do look over it. Initially the buffeting was bad, but I tilted it more forward and if I stuff something over the gap by the headlight, it's alot better. I enjoy riding when it's off, but wouldn't even consider it on a long trip.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:11 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

just purchased HD low profile windshield for my wide glide (58444-06) in preparation for a trip we have planned next month. Test rode it last night on the high way...love it..i can actaully hear the engine with my half helmet (rather than wind noise in my ears). Doesnt look as bad as i thought.

added pics:

Last edited by mang0; 07-26-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been exactly where you are and everyone told me it was all about the measuring the height. So that's what I did. Measure 50 feet from the front tire and place a viewable object on the ground. Sit on the bike sitting as you normally do. Have wife or friend place a straightened measuring tape parallel with the rake of the forks, but starting at the top of your headlight.
Move your finger along the tape to a point where you can " just " see over your finger and " still " see the object on the ground. This is the measurement you want to be able to see in a hard rain (by looking over the shield) and still not have any serious buffeting.

I bought mine this way and I have NO noticeable buffeting at all, riding is way more comfortable at high speeds and if it's raining really hard I can look over the shield with no effort. I've heard that if you can't get a shield the exact measurement you need to order the next higher one. Rifle windshields will cut them to whatever you want for a $30 charge. I bought one from a reseller down in south florida and even with the cut charge it was cheaper than the Memphis shades or ordering straight thru from Rifle. I like everthing about the Rifle shield except that they used bolts to mount the shield to the brackets. I plan to replace those with stainless studs since it kinda difficult to hold the sheild and the bolts while positioning the shield and not scratch your tree etc.

Here is where I bought it ,
http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/...&Store_Code=ws

Here is a pic,

Last edited by R_W_B; 07-26-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM
kirk180
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the quick detachable HD one a couple guys here are talking about. I believe it's the compact one. I bought it a while back, so I can't remember the name. But the pics are the same as these guys. I personally think it works great. Makes a big difference when cruising down the highway. Buffeting isn't an issue for me. However, if I'm cruising for a while on the highway, I'm not able to put my feet on the passenger pegs behind me for a simple change of position with the shield one going over 70. If I do my front will start to wobble. I think the wind lifting on the shield, and the lack of leg weight up front makes it a little light. But if you never use the rear pegs for position changes, then no worries.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a HD quick detach standard. I look over it. The dealer had a shield with lines etched on it. I sat on a bike like mine and they put the shield on it and I looked straight ahead and they noted which lines etched on the shield were level with my eyes. That's how they picked the correct size.

I don't ride fast (60 - 65 mph max) and don't get any buffeting.

Quick Reply: Windshield question for FXDC