Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ape hangers with stock cabels question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 AM
AussieTX
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ape hangers with stock cabels question

So i have a 2011 FXDB, anyway, i saw (on these forums) that the cables that come with the bike can be used for larger apes. anyway, i asked the dealer and they said I would maybe have an inch or two of leeway but nothing drastic. how ever on here i saw that people said they were using 14in apes with their stock cables with no problems.
So was it the dealer just bullshitting me and trying to get me to buy new cables, or is it that the cables changed length a specific year.
Also, at 5'11 i'm thinking either some 12 or 14in apes would be the perfect size for me.
Would you guys mind recommending some brands to look into for this?
Thanks

Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Theres so much to consider here. What style apes do you like? Traditional formed round tubing or the 90 degree angled bars. They come in many, many widths so its critical you know how wide you like as well. You can also go a little higher with say, RSD (Roland Sands) style bars because they are narrow and the grips point down, than you could on a wide set of Paughco apes. for me 10's and 12's were no issue with the stock stuff, but I did need to be creative with the routing, and had to bend a few things (like the throttle cable housings). When I went taller than 12's I had to change the cables and hoses. I think at your height, 14's or 16's would be a better choice, but that really means nothing since only you really know for sure.

Just one note. Be careful when buying bars on ebay. SO OFTEN the dirtbag sellers just post up stock photo's of any bars they think are close. Be very careful if you buy bars off ebay and make sure they list the sizes.

Because the FXDB is so versitle, not many apes really look bad on the thing, but if given a choice, "I" would order 14-16 inch round tube handlebars in 1 1/4 inch size if the bike was mostly stock, and the 90 degree sharp angled bars if lots of mods were in the future. Chrome if your bikes shiny and black if its denim. Now, please understand...... Thats just me. Everyone has an equally valid opinion.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
AussieTX
Tourer

bikerlaw thanks for the info. there are a bunch that i have seen that i really like the look of (don't know the exact names or brands).
just roughly, how much am i looking at for the apes and all the cables needed (say if i were to go for 16s).
Thanks

Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieTX
bikerlaw thanks for the info. there are a bunch that i have seen that i really like the look of (don't know the exact names or brands).
just roughly, how much am i looking at for the apes and all the cables needed (say if i were to go for 16s).
Thanks
Here's my example and with bars every set will be different. I'm running Santee 1 1/4" 14" apes on my bike. They are on a set of 1.5" RSD Moto Risers. With these bars my stock throttle/idle and clutch cable were not going to work. I already had a HD Diamondblack brake line in the stock length and that was long enough so I kept it. For the other cables I bought Magnum Black Pearl in +4 and they are good.

I spent about $200 on the clutch cable and the throttle and idle cable from Magnum.

Just for a comparison, before the 14's, I had the stock bars on 3" risers and was able to keep the stock cables.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
AussieTX
Tourer

Thanks for the info.
I think a new pair of apes will be on the list once i have done the forward controls.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to be clear: A dealer will never say ANYTHING that makes you not spend extra money.