Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do apes contribute to the Dyna wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:58 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

May not be a ninja bikerlaw but it is one of the best looking dyna's I have seen here. I love the springer front end on your bike. I am thinking of putting 14 inch apes on my bike for comfort but I love the handling of my bike so much I hate to mess with it.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Dang, thanks for the props!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
lowriderrob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bikerlaw, Since the geometry of the bike's original stance has been altered, have you re-checked the trail of the front wheel?
Google "Rake and Trail" there are many site that have good explanations.
Too little trail will result in the "death wobble" you are experiencing.

TOO LITTLE OR NEGATIVE TRAIL

With too little or negative trail (steering axle mark behind the front axle mark), the bike will handle with unbelievable ease at low speeds, but will be completely out of balance at high speed. It will easily develop a fatal high-speed wobble. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

NORMAL TRAIL

Normal trail is somewhere between 2 and 4 inches. The bike will handle easily at both high and low speeds. Flowing smoothly through curves without swaying or wobbling. If you use a very fat rear tire, you should keep the trail as close to 4 inches as possible.

TOO MUCH TRAIL

If the trail is more than 4 inches the bike will handle sluggishly at high speeds. It will seem almost too steady. You will have trouble balancing the bike at lower speeds or on winding roads. It will feel generally sluggish and clumsy.

Last edited by lowriderrob; 07-23-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added text
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowriderrob
Bikerlaw, Since the geometry of the bike's original stance has been altered, have you re-checked the trail of the front wheel?
Google "Rake and Trail" there are many site that have good explanations.
Too little trail will result in the "death wobble" you are experiencing.

TOO LITTLE OR NEGATIVE TRAIL

With too little or negative trail (steering axle mark behind the front axle mark), the bike will handle with unbelievable ease at low speeds, but will be completely out of balance at high speed. It will easily develop a fatal high-speed wobble. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

NORMAL TRAIL

Normal trail is somewhere between 2 and 4 inches. The bike will handle easily at both high and low speeds. Flowing smoothly through curves without swaying or wobbling. If you use a very fat rear tire, you should keep the trail as close to 4 inches as possible.

TOO MUCH TRAIL

If the trail is more than 4 inches the bike will handle sluggishly at high speeds. It will seem almost too steady. You will have trouble balancing the bike at lower speeds or on winding roads. It will feel generally sluggish and clumsy.
There it is... ^^^

Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Thanks guys. A couple years ago when I installed the first Springer, I did a trail check based on the RB racing sites instructions. I had the wife hold up the bike and we used a plumb bob and a yardstick. I don't remember the numbers now, but depending on were we took the measurements, it was well within the 4 to 6 inch range (if memory serves). The thing is, the bike has had this issue with all four front ends that I have had on the bike. The stock raked Low Rider forks, 0 degree Wide Glide forks, a DNA Springer and the current Paughco Springer. Didn't matter which one, they all had some sense of the Dyna wobble. Its never been life threatening, but it has been pretty annoying. The best its ever been is the way it is now, with the True Track and the Paughco Springer. I just noticed a real slight wiggle yesterday when I pushed the bike hard over 80 mph. Most of the info I have gathered suggests this is a pretty common problem with pre 09 Dyna's as they age. Right now I am pretty happy with the bike, I am just a bit of a worry wort and am concerned that maybe the apes are feeding into my paranoia. Like I mentioned, the bikes pretty stable right now, I'm the one whose not too stable.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-23-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I'm the one whose not too stable.