Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the oil overfilled after a dealer service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 AM
MikeSz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the oil overfilled after a dealer service?

Okay, I know I can do my own oil changes, but hell, I am no real mechanic and don't fancy doing all the things called for in the 5k service. So, I take it to a dealer. Damn crankcase is always overfilled. They try to explain that "it's hot" or "its cold", but no matter when I check it, it reads overfilled up to the last "L" in the word "Full" embossed on the stick. I figure it is about 10 ozs. over. Why do they do that?

I got myself a suction gun today. 12 bucks. Tired of arguing with dealers.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be that they empty a set number of quarts of oil instead of using a partial quart.

My bike uses about 3½ quarts and I always add the last ½ a little at a time until it is just under the full mark.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikeSz
Okay, I know I can do my own oil changes, but hell, I am no real mechanic and don't fancy doing all the things called for in the 5k service. So, I take it to a dealer. Damn crankcase is always overfilled. They try to explain that "it's hot" or "its cold", but no matter when I check it, it reads overfilled up to the last "L" in the word "Full" embossed on the stick. I figure it is about 10 ozs. over. Why do they do that?

I'll tell you why, it's because 90% of the techs at harley dealerships (Not all of them) have no idea what the hell they are doing! I never bring my bike to the dealership, I fix it myself

Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
MikeSz
Cruiser

Well,they seem to do everything else fine. It's the oil thing that is just stupid. I suppose 10 ozs is no big deal. Just bugs me.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's because the Guy who changes the oil is on the bottom of the Totem Pole. Usually some high school kid, they sure as hell dont use their Master mechanic to do oil changes.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSz

You certainly dont have to be a mechanic to change your oil..
And how many times do you have the full 5k service done, just once I'm guessing.
Tired of arguing with dealers? only one way around that.
Plus you'll save at least $50 doing it your self..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,955 Likes on 4,150 Posts

Said it a zillion time but maybe you have not read it. Harleys are dry sump. Realizing that there is a few ounces in the bottom under the crank but unlike a car motor the oil pump is two stage. The return to the oil tank (scavenge side of the pump) is larger then the pump (pressure side) If you attached a 55 gal drum of oil to the oil tank it would not affect it as long as you left some space for the hot oil to expand to. If it's really too full what it would do would be push the dip stick out. 1/4" on stick will not matter. Hope this helps since I know I will get clobbered by the its going to blow oil out the breather but that is not what causes too much oil in the valve cover.
That being said I like you want it were it belongs and I run mine at the correct level when hot. You do need to check behind dealer but if I were you since you might as well be doing it your self if you fill the need to suction the excess out I would put a note on a tag at the oil fill of the bike saying 'Please fill the cold oil level 1/4" below the full mark for me, Thanks appreciate it.' and the mechanic will gladly do that. He probably fills he's doing you a favor by putting it a little too full knowing if you went the full mileage between changes you would be fine without ever checking it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing I hate about situations like this is, if they don't get something simple and verifiable like an oil change right, how can you have confidence in the work they do that you can't see?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Harleys are dry sump

I could be wrong, but I don't think Dynas have been 'dry sump' for some years now. They have an oil pan and oil pump just like a Car from what I understand.

So yeah, being over-filled is a problem, one you don't want to play with.

If you decide to use a Turkey baster to remove it, fer chrissakes use a hose on the end so long that even if it does come off, it will be no trouble to fish out of the pan. Actually, so long it can't even fall into the pan.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,955 Likes on 4,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Harleys are dry sump

I could be wrong, but I don't think Dynas have been 'dry sump' for some years now. They have an oil pan and oil pump just like a Car from what I understand.

So yeah, being over-filled is a problem, one you don't want to play with.

If you decide to use a Turkey baster to remove it, fer chrissakes use a hose on the end so long that even if it does come off, it will be no trouble to fish out of the pan. Actually, so long it can't even fall into the pan.
Unlike the Softtail that has the the tank you see under the seat the Dyna and TC Tour do have a separate oil reservoir although it does indeed look like its its the engine and sump. I was told that even though the Sporty engine includes the transmission it was classified dry sump.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-22-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is the oil overfilled after a dealer service?