Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the oil overfilled after a dealer service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Ripsaw, the only big twins like that anymore are the softails. This question was asked about a Dyna.

OP, Dealers tend to put in the amount called for in the book, 3 qts with filter. But some oil is left in the pan, oil passages etc. and most Dynas will only require 2 1/2 qts to bring to full.

Last edited by perki48; 07-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,969 Likes on 4,161 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Ripsaw, the only big twins like that anymore are the softails. This question was asked about a Dyna.

OP, Dealers tend to put in the amount called for in the book, 3 qts with filter. But some oil is left in the pan, oil passages etc. and most Dynas will only require 2 1/2 qts to bring to full.
Dyna's are TC engines and are dry sump just like Tour and Softails. What we tend to call an oil bag on them is a separate tank from the sump were the flywheel is and is molded in the front of the transmission case and extended off the bottom as a tank. Not really discussing not overfilling since I agree with the FP that you should not do that. just the fact of why the dealer was not concerned with this small amount of overfill. This slight amount is not actually getting to the engine as an excess or say like a car motor overfilled and the crank whipping it causing aeration (air bubbles in the oil)(engine with the bends--HA) and engine damage. Note the separate oil tank that attaches to the transmission. When you look under the bike it appears it's part of engine but it's not.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:49 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Ripsaw, I was referring to "blowing the filler cap out", that won't happen with screw in caps like Dyna's have. OK? And why attach a picture of trans oil pan when the subject was the engine oil?

Last edited by perki48; 07-22-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,969 Likes on 4,161 Posts

The oil tank in the lower view on the first attachment is the engine oil tank seperate from the engine that bolts to the bottom of the transmission. Note the transmission dip stick further back on the transmission in attachment 2 . Good point about screw in dip stick.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM
MikeSz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time, I will definitely ask the dealer to fill with 2.5 qts instead of 3.0 qts, but I'll keep my suction gun handy!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,762 Likes on 2,530 Posts

The TC engines ae a "dry sump" engine. The oil does not rest or flow back into crankcase . It is pumped to a seperate oil tank (resevoir. The softtails have a tank near the bottom of the seat Dyna's and touring bikes are integral to the transmission case and do have a oil pan. Now why won't the dealer put in the proper amount? Maybe lack of training, maybe they don't have bulk oil tanks to meter out the proper amount. They, the techs may have a mind set, it's good enough, and send it out the door. One has to learn to who is to be trusted with their equipment.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Unlike the Softtail that has the the tank you see under the seat the Dyna and TC Tour do have a separate oil reservoir although it does indeed look like its its the engine and sump.
I learn something every time I come in here.

Thanks for the education.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSz
Okay, I know I can do my own oil changes, but hell, I am no real mechanic and don't fancy doing all the things called for in the 5k service. So, I take it to a dealer. Damn crankcase is always overfilled. They try to explain that "it's hot" or "its cold", but no matter when I check it, it reads overfilled up to the last "L" in the word "Full" embossed on the stick. I figure it is about 10 ozs. over. Why do they do that?

I got myself a suction gun today. 12 bucks. Tired of arguing with dealers.
Why dont you just change it yourself?????

Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

The sumps are NOT always overfilled at the dealer when serviced.

They are often under-filled during service, such as my oil sump at my first AND LAST dealer experience, by one full quart.

PitBull Jack and Amzoil in case you're interested.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 AM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had some warranty service done at the dealership two years ago. Rode the bike about 100 miles afterwards, then a few days later decided to adjust the clutchpack. Pulled the derby cover and couldn't see any primary fluid. Poured a whole quart into it, right up to the proper level. No leaks before or after. Dealership obviously failed to put any fluid back in the primary after reassembly. Never went back.

Quick Reply: Why is the oil overfilled after a dealer service?