Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not running smooth...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 AM
craigdolson
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Not running smooth...

I have an 07 Superglide Custom. It is stock, as far as the functional parts are concerned, including the exhaust. It has 11K miles on it and i am the 2nd owner. Bike has been running fine the last 1,000 miles since i got it. Been having issues with it dying at a stoplight / stop sign when the RPM's drop to idle when the clutch is engaged. It also feels like its hesitating at a cruising speed, almost like the fuel isn't constantly being supplied to the engine. I have replaced the spark plugs (Screaming Eagle), air filter (Stock housing and filter) and new plug wires as well (Screaming Eagle). I also have changed the oil and the primary fluid at the beginning of the season, and it may have 300 to 400 miles on it. I also run premium unleaded for my fuel. I have tried running a tank of Seafoam through the system to clean out any residual junk that the previous owner may have run through, but that has not helped either.. It seems to be worse once the bike has warmed up and has run for a bit (10 min or longer) Since its fuel injected, im not sure where to start. Obviously, i've gone past the cheap fixes and am now looking at the more expensive ones.. Anybody have any thoughts of what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance..

Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your intank fuel line could have a pin hole in it. With the fuel cap removed hit the run switch and listen while the pump primes the injectors. If you hear spaying inside the tank you'll need to replace the line on the pump. There use to be a nice write here on it, but I can find it right now.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, while you have the tank open as hogrida suggested, go ahead and replace the fuel filter.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the bike throwing any codes? Check the sticky on "Best of Dyna" on how to check your codes...its very simple to do and could send you in the right direction. Other than that, I have read on this site that some peole have experinced these types of issues when they ran SE plugs and/or wires.

Try switching back to the stock wires and regular HD 6R12 plugs and see if that doesnt cure your problem.

Hope you get it worked out.

TJ

Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

I agree with going back to stock plugs and wires. It's also easy to check all your battery connections, especially the ground.
Let us know your progress.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
craigdolson
Stage II

The problem existed before i did the SE plugs and wires. I changed them, thinking they needed replacement.. I will check the fuel line and the error codes. As of now, its not throwing any warning lights at me on the display..

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

let us know what you find. With all the crap in the gas here in montana I will be looking at changing my fuel fiter early.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,799 Likes on 2,539 Posts

It's possible the idle air control (IAC) valve is gummed up in the throttle bore. Using a flashlight look in the outer edge of the throttle bore for a little hole with something that looks like a metering valve. Spray some throttle bore cleaner in it while turning the ignition on/off a few times. The oil vapors being sucked in the throttle can play havoc with that little valve.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Greazzie
6th Gear
Default Iac

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
It's possible the idle air control (IAC) valve is gummed up in the throttle bore. Using a flashlight look in the outer edge of the throttle bore for a little hole with something that looks like a metering valve. Spray some throttle bore cleaner in it while turning the ignition on/off a few times. The oil vapors being sucked in the throttle can play havoc with that little valve.
I agree w/ seniorsuper's suggestion of the IAC. My 06 bob was acting a lot like you described above. Blasting it clean helped for awhile (couple weeks), but eventually I had to
replace it. Problem solved, good luck.