Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyna solo seat need

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Crushrus
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ZEROFIVEFOUR,

how does that danny grey seat compare to the barebones as far as riding position?
bare bones puts me in perfect position, cause i sit real far back (6'3", with real long legs),but man... sitting that far back kills my tailbone on rides longer than an hour or so. i can feel the bolts holding on the mounting tab. danny grey looks to be about the same dimmensions, but im hoping the gel might help with the tail bone issues.
any thoughts?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Crushrus
ZEROFIVEFOUR,

how does that danny grey seat compare to the barebones as far as riding position?
bare bones puts me in perfect position, cause i sit real far back (6'3", with real long legs),but man... sitting that far back kills my tailbone on rides longer than an hour or so. i can feel the bolts holding on the mounting tab. danny grey looks to be about the same dimmensions, but im hoping the gel might help with the tail bone issues.
any thoughts?
It pushed me forward and up a bit. If I had to guess I would say about 1 to 1.5 inches higher and about 1 to 1.5 inches closer. I have to tell you that it is much more comfy. Has a bit of back support as well. Really nice seat. The seats are similar in design but the danny gray definitely has more padding and the back support. As much as I love the look of the lepera it kills my back too. I think the danny gray gives my bike a "beefier look", where the lepera gives the bike a more slammed look. The lepera is in my sig pic below fyi, havent had time to update the pic.

edit: I also think the danny gray looks better without a tank lift as the lines match up better with the seat minus the lift, so I took off my tank lift yesterday.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by ZeroFiveFour; 07-21-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: tank lift info added.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 AM
marcocruzer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am looking for a good solo seat. I just installed a progressive lowering kit on my 2011 streetbob. The week prior I put on a lepera silhouette solo... You might've guessed that I've got a low crotch.
I love the way the bike looks and the new riding position... but SO FAR... I'm not overly crazy about the hardride. I expected the rougher ride with the combination of the seat and kit... but the riding gets pretty crap, after an hour or so... and I did purchase the bike to ride afterall. As a comparrison, I ended up putting my stock seat back on today. It's a lot better in the comfort department.
Like I said... I love the kit.. I need a seat. I like the advise of the Danny Grey. I'm going to look into it further... so thanks for this thread.
Anyone care to comment on going to a spring seats? I like the look a lot... but I really can't afford to buy a new seat, until I find one I like. help?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:57 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Choosing a seat also depends on what you want in the seat...style or function. After spending money over the years trying to find the perfect seat, I now go for style then put on the Air Hawk when I'm hittin' the road for an extended trip.

On a long week end last week in three days, I did 12 hours 1st day, 4 hours 2nd day, and 7 hours last day. Never got butt burn.
Secret is to barely inflate. Just enough to get a quarter inch of air between you and the seat.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the Market for solo seat as well. I just don't like the look of my 2-up with the side rails, sissy bar & pad. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I bought a Danny Gray from ebay (not in my pic). Got a good deal IMO. From some small seat guy in CA. It's got the gel in it and you can tell. A little firm but you just don't get the dead butt after a couple hours like you do on the soft foam. Danny Gray mixes the gel in with the foam. Go figure.

Just go to ebay, type in 'Danny gray solo dyna' and I think there's three of them from the same guy, all with the gel. All $275. Not a 'great' deal but okay, I think. Maybe.

Just saying cause I'm looking too but.................. Confused

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a C&C lo pro solo.... No issues with it at all.....
Might be an option for you

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM
darkcvc
Tourer

Just checked Ebay on my phone and there are a ton of Danny Gray seats for great prices on there right now.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Crushrus
Cruiser

thanks for the info.

im not really concerned about looks when it comes to a seat for long rides, but the more fluffy, comfortable seats screw my riding position all up, which is uncomfortable in an entirely different way. ijust had my stock seat re-shaped by mean city cycles. they did a pretty nice job, but the stock seat is still so wide, it pushes my hips out and then those wind up hurting. i might pull it off, pull out a jigsaw, cut the sides of the pan off and reshape a little bit more.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4

Anyway, I bought a Danny Gray from ebay (not in my pic). Got a good deal IMO. From some small seat guy in CA. It's got the gel in it and you can tell.

Just go to ebay, type in 'Danny gray solo dyna' and I think there's three of them from the same guy, all with the gel. All $275.
Grendel4,

Was it from Sterling? If so then it was the same guy I bought mine from.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroFiveFour
Grendel4,

Was it from Sterling? If so then it was the same guy I bought mine from.

Cheers,

Tom
Yeah, but I didn't want to mention the name and violate the spirit of the rules here on HDForums.

I wasn't sure at first, didn't see how the deal could be so good. But, in my case, I got a $600+ seat for $350 plus shipping. I don't know how he does it. Maybe he gets F-ups from them that they just don't wanna hang on to. Like, somebody sewed the wrong pattern or sumthin.

The deals on the solo seats look okay but nothing Earth-shattering.

I REALLY like mine. My neighbor liked it so much, he ordered one from Phat Performance at their full-boat retail. He likes his a lot, too.

I know leather doen't last as long but you know what? I don't care. And I have no problme with the heat in my seat because of the gel. I just got back from a ride. Went and had a suds, let it sit in the baking Sun (95+ degrees out) for over an hour and got on it with no real problems. Yeah, it was hot for a minute or three but I (personally) think vinyl gets hotter.

Just my opinion. And my opinions are often wrong.

Last edited by Grendel4; 07-21-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: dyna solo seat need