Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with turn signal/brake light gremlin 09 FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Emdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with turn signal/brake light gremlin 09 FXDB

A buddy of mine just got back from 1600 mile trip. During the ride he noticed R rear turn signal did not work, brake light was on but does not get brighter with brake use, L rear turn signal was constantly on but did not blink with turn and was melting the lense. Headlight worked fine but seemed abnormally bright, and front turn signals worked fine. Does this sound like a short somewhere?? It rained on 1 day of the ride. He replaced his bars several weeks ago and spliced and soldered wires at the time to get in and out of bars. His ride is an 09 Streetbob. Everything worked after install and before start of trip.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Emdog
A buddy of mine just got back from 1600 mile trip. During the ride he noticed R rear turn signal did not work, brake light was on but does not get brighter with brake use, L rear turn signal was constantly on but did not blink with turn and was melting the lense. Headlight worked fine but seemed abnormally bright, and front turn signals worked fine. Does this sound like a short somewhere?? It rained on 1 day of the ride. He replaced his bars several weeks ago and spliced and soldered wires at the time to get in and out of bars. His ride is an 09 Streetbob. Everything worked after install and before start of trip.
It sounds like either his splice job has a short, or he pinched a wire with doing internal wiring. I suspect the red/yellow wire going to the lever actuated stop light switch.

Last edited by HemiOrange; 07-17-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Emdog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
It sounds like either his splice job has a short, or he pinched a wire with doing internal wiring. I suspect the red/yellow wire going to the lever actuated stop light switch.
Thank you neighbor. That was my first thought but I was hoping it would be something simple like arcing at the TS bulb or ??? We are going to check wiring under fender and such before diving back into the bars. The bars are Todds Strip bars...1" with tight Z bends, not fun to wire!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM
baldric
Road Warrior
Received 3,109 Likes on 655 Posts

Does he have one of the add ons that make his brake light and rear signals flash before coming on full? I mention this because I had the exact same problem a few times and it turned out to be the add on for the rear brake/signal flasher gave up. Removed it and all is well with the universe now.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Emdog
Cruiser

Figured it out. Front master cylinder perch and throttle housing were not seated together well so brake actuator was not working correctly. Repositioned them to good fit and everything went back to normal. Lesson learned I guess. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Emdog
Figured it out. Front master cylinder perch and throttle housing were not seated together well so brake actuator was not working correctly. Repositioned them to good fit and everything went back to normal. Lesson learned I guess. Thanks for the replies.
Glad to hear! I've noticed, at times, that those two pieces didn't want to mate, but it was mostly because the wiring bundle wasn't tucked in right into the dimple or cut-out for the wires. I've changed bars at least 8 times in 15 months and ran into that problem once or twice, but corrected it before I called it good.

I also put a piece of cardboard between the lever stop and housing before unbolting anything.