Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to the forum with a comparion question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:34 AM
rtm58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to the forum with a comparion question

I am looking to get some information for a comparison. I am looking at getting a cruiser and have narrowed it down to a Harley Fat Bob and a Yamaha Raider. Price points are similar, so that is not the issue.

Now before I start a bashing war here, let me just say that both bikes are great bikes… from what I know of them. I contacted the Raider forum as well and the reason I use these forums is most people seem to have a level of intelligence that allows them to look at things objectively.

Also, gentlemen and ladies, most of you have experience that I am looking for. Sales people can spout the virtues of their machines all day long, but I want some feedback from those of you who actually ride them day in and day out.

I have been riding for 30 + years. Motorcycles are not an “emotional” issue for me. A motorcycle is just a motorcycle, no matter where it is comes from, so I don’t feel any loyalty to any particular marquee. I have never owned a Harley before, but the Fat Bob is the one I would like to own. A Rocker would be nice too, but it doesn’t seem to lend itself to long haul trips like the Bob would.

So, in your own words, ladies and gents, what are your thoughts on the comparisons? Oh, by the way, please don’t bother mentioning resale value. That is a myth. I have had many Harley rider friends that will tell me straight up dealers don’t give crap when it comes time to trade up. No vehicle dealer does, I don’t care if it is high end sports cars or riding mowers, the resale value is just not there. Thanks in advance for your help in this decision. I hope to have a new bike in the driveway by years end. I am taking a 2 day test ride of a Fat Bob in Denver in September. Too bad I can’t do the same with a Raider at the same time. Then I would have some good input. Until then, I am relying on you nice folks to give me your insights as to the virtues of the bikes.
Again, many thanks. By the way, some of the Raider froums guys said it would be a tough choice. The looks are killer on both. I am looking for what you all like and dislike about the Bob. Haandling, maintenance, performance, that sort of thing.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a fatbob, but I have a street bob, same family of Harley though Dyna. My Dyna is awesome and I love it. Maintenance usually is overpriced at the dealer and you gotta find a good dealership, which seems hard to find these days. I do my own maintenance and repairs if I ever get to one. Everyone I know with a fatbob loves it. The dual disk brakes up front, the handling and comfort. There are a lot of guys on this forum that push their fatbob pretty good. As for the raider I can't give you any insight. I've never rode a metric cruiser. I've always wanted a Harley since my dad had one when I was growing up and my mind was always set 110% Harley for a cruiser. I didn't even have the urge or care to look at any others, except for choppers. I would recommend finding a yamaha dealership that will let you test drive the raider otherwise if you test drive the fatbob and love it you'll never know the other side. Or if you ride the FB and buy the raider and realized you don't like it you're screwed. I only say that because you say a motorcycle is a motorcycle and just want one you like. For me it would be the FB all the way just because I love the people I met and hang out with in the HD world. I guess more of the vibe that comes with the HD is just icing on the cake. Hard to explain!!

Last edited by JaronB; 07-17-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh and the Harley service manual has a lot of pictures and is very clear at doing your own servicing.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a dozen people with Harleys. For most of them it's not their first bike. However, when then decided they wanted a Harley there was no substitute. Don't take this the wrong way, no intention here, but you would probably be happier with the metric bike. You can't compare a Yamaha to a Harley. The Yamaha is a great bike, heck it's probably better, but it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 PM
hdfatbob10
6th Gear

I am a proud owner of a 2010 fatbob I love how it handles, the forward controls have had no issues with it for me I didn't like the sound and the looks of the pipes I had pipes and intake put on before it left the dealer I don't know anything about the raider but if your on the fence test both. Good luck on what ever you choose. (would like to see you fall on the hd fb side) lol

Old 07-17-2011, 12:41 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

hi ,
its a good question , but for me it came down to future resale values , nothing holds its money like a Harley , i bought a 2011 fat bob over a triumph thunder bird storm (great bike), you should look at one of those if you fancy an alternative cruiser ,
the storm was probably the better bike , faster , better finish , with some nice touches , but when you look at what they were both likely to be worth in 3 - 4 years time the fat bob was a much better deal ,and when i traded in my 11 month old nightster against the Fat Bob and i got nearly all my money back , i only lost £200 which was fantastic , Ive not ridden the raider and to be honest i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole , i don't like copies
but the storm was a little different because its a parallel twin , it has its own identity and soul , its not trying to be a Harley which is something the japs don't seem to understand ,
the FB is also a great bike , and really easy to live with , it handles well and stops well , and with a pair of slip ons it sounds great as well , but you cannot compare a jap imitation to a Harley Davidson , theres only ever going to be one winner in my book , the ORIGINAL
I'm British by the way , so i don't have some sort of patriotic loyalty to the HD brand , i just like the thought that when i come to trade it in , ill get 2 -3 k more toward my next bike than if id bought any other make

Last edited by MADDOG187; 07-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The Raider has enormous torque . Even compared to the HD 103, it will pull away from the Harley . it handles like it's on rails, and looks and sounds real good . But it's as stated above....a copy . If you can live with that, then the Raider is the better bike . And, I've ridden both . I'm not just blowing hot air here

Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Allow me to be controversial here....
If you have been riding that long, and never owned a Harley, and don't care what kind of bike you own...Don't buy a Harley.... In 6 months you will be whining about how it is not what you expected, doesn't compare to the metrics you have owned...blah, blah, blah.

I think if you took an honest survey you would find a great many that try a Harley after owning metrics whine about how it is not as good as metrics they have owned. A Harley is not just another bike, it is vastly different than the majority of new bikes out there, i.e. air cooled, vibrates more, doesn't rev as high, not as fast, you can read all of these comments and much more on this forum.

My personal opinion, you have to want a Harley to be happy with a Harley if you have been on metrics for 30 years. In my 45+ years of riding I have owned german bikes, english bikes, japanese bikes, and American bikes, but the only big cruiser I have or would ever own is a Harley, because I love what they represent.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:02 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Raider is faster for sure and lets not kid ourselves is probably more reliable. Personally I don't ride a Harley Davidson Fat Bob because I think it's the fastest cruiser on the planet (kinda goes against "cruising" dont it?). Harley Davidson is the gold standard for cruisers and always has been in my opinion and I have owned a couple of Jap cruisers and had fun on them.

Its a matter of choice and each person is different. Get what you want because YOU want it, who cares what we think? Just ride man.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
evanstock
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resale value of course.

The sharp angles on the *** raider look gay.

Quick Reply: Newbie to the forum with a comparion question