Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to the forum with a comparion question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Overdose
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test rode both last week and ended up with the Fat Bob. If I could own a second bike I would get the Raider. The fat bob just handled extremely well and fit me perfect.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello All... I'd like to chime in on this.

I've been riding for about 45 years and, Ive rode them all pretty much. My first was a BSA 650 lightning. since then Honda, Yamaha. BMW,Triumph, All styles.. but now I have an'06 Superglide. Been on it for 112,000 miles and I'll be the first to tell you, If I had to do it all over again... those miles would've been on a Road King Classic. Also, I tell antbody that Harley Davidson's are not for everybody. As for Me, My next bike will probably be that Road King Classic. And soon!

Best wishes with your choice... Tim

Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
rtm58
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your insight. The bottom line is that it is my decision. It looks like I could be happy with either one, but i won't make any decisions until after my 2 day road trip in the Rockies. I am looking to get a cruiser, so the speed thing is not an issue. That's what my FJR is for! I want a comfortable ride, a good looking bike, and some performance. I think I can get what I need out of both. Thanks again to all who responded. It really helps

Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evanstock
The sharp angles on the *** raider look gay.
Fixed...

Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rtm58
Thank you everyone for your insight. The bottom line is that it is my decision. It looks like I could be happy with either one, but i won't make any decisions until after my 2 day road trip in the Rockies. I am looking to get a cruiser, so the speed thing is not an issue. That's what my FJR is for! I want a comfortable ride, a good looking bike, and some performance. I think I can get what I need out of both. Thanks again to all who responded. It really helps

Let us know how your two day rental goes.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I can kill off the whole resale value thing right now. I just got rid of a fairly low mileage (for me anyway) 2005 heritage softail . It cost a lot more than my new dyna did. You can get practically brand new road kings and heritage softails at auction for repos and cop bikes around here for 6K. Of course you have to have the 6K up front so there lies the hitch in that . I was fortunate to get 9500 dollars for my old bike. It was cammed , carbed, piped, etc . it was flat out loaded up with stuff. It ran like a raped ape (excuse the old biker phrase for all you ladies out there). I traded it off because I needed a more nimble bike.

I grew up on harley-davidsons starting with an old iron head sportster. I would find a yamaha shop that will let you test ride there bike then make a choice. My 2011 streetbob is not the fastest thing on the road but I can go 85 all day and be comfortable. I had a friend who had a yamaha raider and he was very happy with it. Just make sure you are happy since you have to live with what you buy.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Good luck with your choice and have fun !!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

rtm58
Just reread your original post and like you said you have been riding for 30+ years and you have never owned a Harley Davidson. You owe it to yourself to try it. Yes they aint the fastest, do vibrate alot and are aircooled and can be rudementry when it comes to certain
things, But and this may be thought of as foolish to say but. And let the flamming begin every single HD has a character about them all to there own. I know one to many trips to the bowl of Koolaide. A couple of days with that Fatbob and you may step up to the koolaide also. In todays time all the manufactures are building great machines is there really a bad decision. Ive only owned a few, 1 honda, 1 virago a sportster and my lowrider
miss the sportster
Carl

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

maybe things are different in the states , but over here in england there is a pretty big difference in resale values of Harley's compared to jap copies , its just one of those things i suppose , we don't have ex police bikes or anything like the amount of them that you do , but we have a fair few japs , Germans Italians and British bikes , none of them hold there money like the Harley,s , if resale wasn't an issue , i may have bought the triumph rocket lll or thunder bird storm , and to be totally honest i still might next time if the deal is right , but there is definatly something about Harley Davidson's , they might not be as fast or handle as well as a lot of the other makes , but they just feel right .

Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it was more about the whole lifestyle that comes with owning a HD. Yes there is mutual respect among all riders, but there is more of a brotherhood with a Harley that can't be matched. When I decided to start shopping, I looked at a lot of other bikes. I could have had a brand new Suzuki C50 for what my 2001 FXDX cost. In the end though, the price was not the deciding factor. My wife said to me " why would you want to have a fake Harley? Wouldn't you rather have a real one?" That someone who normally can't tell the difference in many of my other automotive hobbies said that summed it all up. She also pointed out the whole lifestyle that I mentioned above. When you go for a ride to a small town somewhere for lunch, you feel proud pulling up next to other Harleys. That is why the merchandising is so huge. You don't see too many guys wearing Yamaha Raider shirts.

Quick Reply: Newbie to the forum with a comparion question