Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM
grumpy56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front End Clunk

I would bet that this quesiton has been asked many times previously, but need your help. Front end has always "clunked" since new. However, now at 9000 miles, it is out of control. Clunks almost constantly, whether braking or hitting small bumps. Should I be checking out the steering head bearing/adjustment or just go ahead and rip the forks apart? If this were an older model I could just remove the form caps, suck out the fork oil, and try a heavier weight at least to start. But, per the shop manual, these newer forks take alot more work to change the fluid. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Sounds like it's your neck bearing. There's a procedure called 'Fall Away' that is used for fixing it. I'm sure most folks just tighten up the adjusting nut though. I know I had the same thing when my bike was a few months old. I took it to the dealer and they 'fixed' it in about 30 minutes (warranty). I'm sure they didn't do the fall away procedure in that amount of time. I believe the torque is 90-110 ft lbs, but check your svc manual for your bike.

Make sure you have the neck filled with grease as well. According to my service manual, "pump grease in until it starts to ooze out of the top and bottom bearing races."

Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by duecedog
Make sure you have the neck filled with grease as well. According to my service manual, "pump grease in until it starts to ooze out of the top and bottom bearing races."
HUH??? You pack the bearings, you don't fill the neck with grease, where did you read that?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I notice that the poster re : greasing the neck bearings rides a softail. on my old heritage softail you had a grease fitting on the neck and you did indeed grease it till the grease came out the top and bottom. Simple and quick. I dont know about the original OP's bike id check the service manual and if you dont have one now would be a good time to buy one.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 AM
grumpy56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, per the Shop Manual you pack the bearings with grease. Wish it had a zerk though, would make it alot easier. Appreciate all the info and will perform that fall away test to see if I need to adjust that bearing.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on checking and adjusting the fallaway - cured my troubles.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Believe or not, I have the same noise but can't reproduce every time, usually when I ride for a while without hitting the brake or hit a pot hole, the initial braking makes a clunk. I've checked the front end and couldn't find anything. I thought it could be the brake pads got stuck at one point. Took the front pads off, clean them, put them back and it went away, it is worth a try.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My old Road King had a zerk but the new Dyna's do not. My manual also says to pack the bearings and nothing more.

To the OP, do the fall away test and I'd bet your forks flop to the side at will.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure your gas tank is tight. I had a clunk when I hit bumps, etc., found the front mounting bolt slightly loose, causing a solid clunk. Just a thought.....

Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 AM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, before you start messing with the neck bearings and all that, take off your seat and tighten both front and rear tank bolts. You may even want to put some loc-tite on them and snug them good.

Quick Reply: Front End Clunk