Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats an extra gallon of gas worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011 | 10:18 AM
bikerlaw
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Whats an extra gallon of gas worth?

I am still considering swapping out my Low Rider tank (4.09 gallons) for a larger wide Glide tank (5.1 gallons). I added up the cost and with the tank, Speedo, bezel and bib, and I will be at 500 bucks. I used to like the narrower Low Rider tank, but with the Springer and apes I really think a larger tank might look better as well as hold more gas. Are any of you Dyna guys putting the Wide Glide tanks on for that extra cruising range, or is the stock tank big enough?

Also something to consider.... Stock Low Rider tanks go for a BUNDLE of cash on ebay (not sure why), and if I sold mine after the install I could recap quite a bit of the cost. Thoughts?

Old 07-16-2011 | 10:23 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

My FXDC already has a 5-gallon tank, and I surely wouldn't want to replace it w/ a 4-gallon one, even though it would lower the CG. But you can run out of fuel w/ either size.

Old 07-16-2011 | 11:51 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

What year is your bike?

Makes sense to increase the range, especially if you like the look of a fatter tank, and the cost of the conversion makes sense for you.

Better range would be a big plus in many areas where gas stations are spaced pretty far apart. I never heard a rider going through Death Valley say that he wished he had a smaller tank.

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I am still considering swapping out my Low Rider tank (4.09 gallons) for a larger wide Glide tank (5.1 gallons). I added up the cost and with the tank, Speedo, bezel and bib, and I will be at 500 bucks. I used to like the narrower Low Rider tank, but with the Springer and apes I really think a larger tank might look better as well as hold more gas. Are any of you Dyna guys putting the Wide Glide tanks on for that extra cruising range, or is the stock tank big enough?

Also something to consider.... Stock Low Rider tanks go for a BUNDLE of cash on ebay (not sure why), and if I sold mine after the install I could recap quite a bit of the cost. Thoughts?

Old 07-16-2011 | 01:15 PM
USMAMule
Road Master

Well considering you stand to recoup a bunch of the cost - let's say 250$ (correct me if I'm way off) - is getting 40-50 more miles per tank worth $250? I would think so if I had the bucks.

USMAMule

Old 07-16-2011 | 01:39 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

My tank is 4.7 gallons so it wouldn't be worth it to me. But for your bike it might be, if the installation isn't too much of a hassle and you have the extra bucks. I think the wider tank would look a little better too.

Old 07-16-2011 | 01:39 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

If you only ride in the east part of the country it's not too necessary. If you lie to ride out in Utah, Nevada, etc it's probably a good mod.

Crazy

Old 07-16-2011 | 03:52 PM
32vld
Road Master

I do it though I would keep the original tank on the side.

Bike gets dropped, tank dented, new tank starts to rust on the inside, etc..., and if you sell the bike it can be changed back by the new owner if he wants to.

Old 07-16-2011 | 04:35 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior

For the rear occasion when I might need the extra range I would just buy a couple of MSR fuel cans and take them with me but since I don't have any recent plans to ride in Death Valley I guess I would find better use for my $500.

Old 07-16-2011 | 08:59 PM
bikerlaw
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for all the responses. The bikes a '96 so I don't have the bigger tank the new Dyna's have. Not planning death valley or anything like that but more gas just seems like a convenience thing. I also have been wondering about style. I am starting to agree that the Wide Glide tank with the large single speedo might flow better with the Springer and the apes. I think its a more traditional look. I realize the Low Rider dash is basically unchanged since the '77 Shovelhead Low Rider came out, but I'm still thinking the big tank might be worth the money and effort.

Does anyone have pictures of a basic Dyna or Low Rider with the big tank and 5 inch dash mounted speedo? I realize I can just look at a Wide Glide but they are pretty different styles with all the rake and bobtail rear fender.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-16-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2011 | 07:46 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

One of the mods I have been considering for some time is increasing my fuel capacity, but I just have not been able to justify it. I actually went from the WG 5.1 to a SG 4.7 and I do miss the extra 1/2 gallon. I have sweated it a few times. But then I do carry an MSR bottle on road trips.
All that said, it sounds like one of your primary objectives is aesthetics, which is an entirely different matter. I would say go for it if it is the look you are after.
You should be able to get more than 250 out of your tank and console, I got 500 for my WG complete.

Quick Reply: Whats an extra gallon of gas worth?