Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't be right, can it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM
imbthree
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't be right, can it?

bike just doesnt seem to be running right. been resaerching on the problem for awhile. took the console and tank plate off and noticed that the fuel pressure regulator constantly sprays fuel while the pump is priming and the bike is running. Question is, Is this normal for the FPR to constantly spray fuel inside the tank all the time while the bike is running or is the FPR bad???

Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by imbthree
bike just doesnt seem to be running right. been resaerching on the problem for awhile. took the console and tank plate off and noticed that the fuel pressure regulator constantly sprays fuel while the pump is priming and the bike is running. Question is, Is this normal for the FPR to constantly spray fuel inside the tank all the time while the bike is running or is the FPR bad???
Yes would be normal. Forget what the fuel psi is for the Harleys but is around 50psi and to keep that constant, the fuel pump is capable of making more then that so the regulator is sprung in a fashion to keep a 50 psi charge supply and dumping the rest.
Not sure what problem your having but to test the fuel regulator do a fuel pressure test.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,987 Likes on 4,178 Posts

There is a timer when you first hit the key that runs the FP. Then it shuts off till it detects that the engine is cranking or running through the crank shaft sensor on the front of engine. While cranking or running it maintains constant pressure (off top of my head 52-58lbs) The FP puts out more then this and this is what you see. Bet going down the road at 5500 rpm in 5th the spray would drop slightly but not the 52-58. (don't try verifying this) On a FI the first thing you notice with a stopped up filter is it will not idle. (computer can not keep up if pressure is low) There is a bank angle sensor to shut off motor if bike falls over and computer shut off FP also for safety. If your in to it this far may as well replace filter. However most all gas now days in US is clean and my bike with 40K has never had a filter. Takes a special t-fitting to check pressure since no fuel rail connection. You overspray probably means it's OK and the condition of the idle is a second seat of the paints check

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-15-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 PM
imbthree
Advanced

Dang! thought i was on to something. Good to know thats normal tho. MOCO did a pressure test and said it stayed in between 55-60 psi. Maybe I just need to save up some cash and head up to FuelMoto and get a good tune. Thanks for the fast replys guys!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Being on this subject (not to thread jack sorry) does your guys fuel pump humm pritty good? Mine seems fairly noticable at a stop at idle. Seems like its a bit louder than it used to be but maybe I just now noticed the sound and now its very recognizable? Thanks
Good luck with your bike sounds like your good in this area. I agree a good tune would probably help alot if you have not done so.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,987 Likes on 4,178 Posts

Originally Posted by WG2011
Being on this subject (not to thread jack sorry) does your guys fuel pump humm pritty good? Mine seems fairly noticable at a stop at idle. Seems like its a bit louder than it used to be but maybe I just now noticed the sound and now its very recognizable? Thanks
Good luck with your bike sounds like your good in this area. I agree a good tune would probably help alot if you have not done so.
I have factory exhaust and other then when I first key it on(out of habit I always wait till it cuts off before starting) I can not hear it. You sure must have good hearing. I'm not sure if I can hear it with my ear to the tank. Maybe Harley making there tanks thinner. I have an old thick one. PS can't here the wife either. HA

Back to ib3 problem. what exactly is not running right. mine would have had to be not running period to have take that plate off. A 08 should still be running good if it had not see any service since it left the factory.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
I have factory exhaust and other then when I first key it on(out of habit I always wait till it cuts off before starting) I can not hear it.......
I just recently read tip on here about that same thing and it solved my hard starting issues. If you are running a PC (as in my case), you need to hit the start button immediately and before the fuel pump stops running. If you hit the start after it kicks off, the PC doesn't do it's programmed functions for start-up.

My bike is a bit built with higher compression and it also has manual compression releases. If it doesn't start on the first attempt, I have to turn it off, press the releases down and do the start-up procedure over again. Just the knowledge that I need to hit the start button immediately has saved me from a bit of frustration.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member

Now you got me a tad worried cause I bet if I pointed it out most ppl could hear it. may have to call dealership and ask. Thanks

Originally Posted by grf000
I have factory exhaust and other then when I first key it on(out of habit I always wait till it cuts off before starting) I can not hear it. You sure must have good hearing. I'm not sure if I can hear it with my ear to the tank. Maybe Harley making there tanks thinner. I have an old thick one. PS can't here the wife either. HA

Back to ib3 problem. what exactly is not running right. mine would have had to be not running period to have take that plate off. A 08 should still be running good if it had not see any service since it left the factory.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 AM
imbthree
Advanced

The bike has a noticable surging...mostly noticable in 1st-3rd gear. Called fuelmoto, they walked me through adding more more fuel to it cause it was runnin lean. Still no change, for ***** and giggles bumped fuel up 20% (short run down the street) didn't even notice a difference in power or throttle. Just gonna have it tuned soon and hope it cures the issues.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree a tune as you said is probably going to help quite a bit in many ways.