Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuelpak for V&H Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Bayer in CA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuelpak for V&H Exhaust

Hi there,

First of all I'm totally new in this. I bought the V&H Short Staggerd exhaust which looks really great on my 2004 FXDWGI.
I knew I have to change the air filter but when I asked the dealer where I bought my exhaust if I would need something else such as an fuelpak he said. It is not neccessary but would be recommended. I should mount it first and look how does my bike runs and go from there.
I just read a lot reviews and also browsed forums. I read I would harm my engine/overheating/melting etc.
Do I need a fuelpak?
Help please...

Thanks a lot I appreciate your help.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
vtwin47
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you add the filter with the pipes, You will lean out (add more air) to an already lean factory set up (not good for the engine). You need to add more fuel. One very easy way is to plug in a V&H FuelPak and input the correct modes and values for your set up. I did and it increased my mpg, added more front end torque and made the overall powerband much more even/smoother/less herkeyjerkey. But I don't plan to do any more engine mods. Others will suggest computers that offer more fine tune capabilities.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Bayer in CA
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vtwin47
When you add the filter with the pipes, You will lean out (add more air) to an already lean factory set up (not good for the engine). You need to add more fuel. One very easy way is to plug in a V&H FuelPak and input the correct modes and values for your set up. I did and it increased my mpg, added more front end torque and made the overall powerband much more even/smoother/less herkeyjerkey. But I don't plan to do any more engine mods. Others will suggest computers that offer more fine tune capabilities.
First of all thank you.
I'll concider to make the purchase for a V&H Fuelpak and I do not want to change nor modify anything else. I just modified the pipes for a better sound that's it. Do you have any recommendations for a good air filter?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

The Fuelpak can be a hit or miss deal. It was the first fuel management device I used, recommended by a buddy who has the same motor as mine. He used the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, slip ons and the Fuelpak. His bike ran perfectly. The only difference was I used different slip ons. I had problems with major decel pop and V&H tried very hard but couldn't tune it out. Even though the TMax I went with is a super unit and fixed the problems, I would've rather stayed with the Fuelpak and saved the money. Not planning any engine mods, but you never know.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Bayer in CA
2nd Gear

Thanks a lot! I heard the KN-Air Filter Stage 1 would be also a good choice to get the best out of it for now. A buddy of mine is using the KN Air Filter Stage 1 and he has little probs w/it. Sure in combination with a power commander. He said the powercommander can't adjust the fuel management correctly. Even with the Support Center he could not adjust it! And now he's a bit to rich. He said as well he would recommand rather the FuelPak from V&H! He took this one for his Dyna Lowrider and worked beautyful.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM
pete62conv
Cruiser

Call V&H and ask them which air cleaner they recommend. That will show you what they have tested with those pipes and not only will you be spot on but get an idea how their customer service is. Big sucker is the overall favorite of the industry.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Willy723
Tourer

V&H would probably just recommend their own VO2 air cleaner, I would look for a local bike/speed shop and talk to the guys there, see what they have matched and like.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master

Good luck. the fuel pack is very easy to install as well...

Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM
pete62conv
Cruiser

I called them about cams and they rattled off a few different grinds they have dyno tuned with my engine/pipe combo so they have a setting ready to plug into my Fuelpak. They are super nice. When tuning the air cleaner is not as big of deal as the pipe(s). I just checked their listings for maps and they all say "high flow a/c" and ______ pipe.

To answer your origional question, yes you do need a fuelpak. Reading plugs is a joke with the new fuel they make us burn. Unless you're dumping fuel the will always be tan. The biggest benefit to a tuner to me was the heat the bike puts off. WOW what a difference. Much cooler. It has been a flawless product and their customer service is top notch. Tear it up.

Last edited by pete62conv; 07-15-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:01 AM
jack0890
Advanced
Default Fuelpak for V&H exhaust

I've ran mine for over a year now with only the exhaust (V&H Shortshots staggered) being changed out and have had no problems as of yet. I was told that the issues with the pipes are hit and miss as well. By that I mean some people swap out the exhaust only and have no issues and other do the same thing and have problems. However, with that being said, I plan on swapping the A/C and installing a tuner (probably a Fuelpak) when the money allows.

Quick Reply: Fuelpak for V&H Exhaust