Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SE204 Cam - Checking to see if I've got everything covered...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:07 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a Service Manual?
If not,
I highly recommend you get one before attempting to do this project.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 AM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbOOm
You know, I thought I was a smart guy... until I decided to put a cam into my bike!

I think I'm going to go with the Fueling 574 unless I can get me a Cycle-Rama 575 for a price.

So there are these "adjustable" rods and then "easy adjustable" rods. I don't get it - do I need to take the top end off to put the regular adjustables in or what? This is frustrating - haha!
Since you're trying to decide on everything, I'm gonna post a link that may interest you (though you may have already seen it). You'll need to scroll down the page to see everything. Particularly, scroll down past the dyno charts and videos to the cam installation instructions. They cover the whole thing, step by step, on how to do it without removing the rocker boxes (provided you're using the quick install pushrods).

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/cams.htm

They have cams and installation kits for sale there, at the top of the page, and you should call them for pricing. You'll likely get a pleasant surprise when you ask for their price and compare to the same items elsewhere. If you don't choose to buy the cams from them, they won't hold that against you.

I'm going to install Andrews 55H cams in mine, using Crane Cams "Time Saver" adjustable pushrods. I'm getting the bearings and installation kit from Fuel Moto. I look forward to completing this job. If I don't like the pushrods, no big deal anyway, because the 107" mod is next on my list, so I'll be tearing down the top-end later anyway.

Search the Touring Models forum here for more information on Fuel Moto's cam trials and testing. They share information freely, and are always willing to help. They're also a site sponsor, so I tend to appreciate them that much more.

If you haven't already done so, search ebay for good pricing on cams for your bike. Sometimes you can find a great deal when someone changed their mind on cams.

Last edited by cjlandry; 07-15-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
ncbrq
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the manual and I saw S&S's video on how to do the whole thing on YouTube... it's great. I've got a friend that's going to be helping me that knows what's up. Got the in-lbs. torque wrench, all that crapola. I think I got the installation part down. It's the SELECTION part that kills me. FuelMoto seems to sell only Wood's cams - at least that's what I asked them about. And I've gotten their prices via email - better than everyone, but Woods is so unbelievably overpriced still, in my opinion. Don't understand why the $100+ difference - I'm not necessarily looking for the most TQ and HP but the most TQ and HP for the dollar. I can get Fuelings shipped for about $263... same I'd pay for the SE-204 with shipping from Zanotti's.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
ncbrq
Advanced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtrERhdKoWY

Here's a link to the first start up. She's done! And holy crap! It's good...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 AM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you were successful. Did you use the quick install pushrods, or did you remove the rocker covers?

Have fun with your new power-band!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 PM
ncbrq
Advanced

Well, frankly, not at all impressed with the power. I used the stock rods. I think it's the ThunderMax. I've been playing with the map and it's getting better. Could also be the CRAP Bassani Prostreets. These things are GARBAGE. Build like crap. But still... not impressed AT ALL. Must have done something very wrong.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What cams did you go with in the end?

You may be suffering from over-high expectations (it may only be 10% more power in one rev area depending on the cams) combined with the need to re-tune, particularly the timing.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbOOm
Well, frankly, not at all impressed with the power. I used the stock rods. I think it's the ThunderMax. I've been playing with the map and it's getting better. Could also be the CRAP Bassani Prostreets. These things are GARBAGE. Build like crap. But still... not impressed AT ALL. Must have done something very wrong.
Have you contacted Zippers to see if they have a base map for those cams or something close enough to it then run the auto-tune (if equipped).

Fueling has some ignition maps on their site for that cam. None are for TMAT but maybe you could use the data in one of them to make it work.
http://www.feulingparts.com/ignitionmaps.php

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 08-26-2011 at 06:27 AM.