Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: FXDXI - Rear shock adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question: FXDXI - Rear shock adjustment

I'll bet this was probably answered before but I've been searching here and elsewhere for about 2 hours with no luck.

Will adjusting the rear shocks (the lower adjuster) effect the ride height at all. I'm a little confused as to how this works. I need about a 1/2 inch lower to make the bike fit perfect for my short legs, lol.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Ventana
Cruiser

No one????

Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, assuming they are all the way extended, by adjusting them it will lower the height a bit when you sit on it. But it will also affect the ride comfort, etc.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ventana
"Will adjusting the rear shocks (the lower adjuster) effect the ride height at all?"
Adjusting your shocks to the lowest preload setting will give the softest ride and possibly drop the rear end down the 1/2" you are looking for. If that doesn't work, you could opt for lowering blocks or shorter shocks and/or shorten the spacer on the front fork springs to lower the bike to your desired height. Just be aware that when you lower the bike you also change the ground clearance and parking lean angle. Hope it works out for you.
~

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Ventana
Cruiser

right now I have them set to what I think is the lowest setting?? see pic. Or do I need to turn it the other way?

Attached Thumbnails Question:  FXDXI - Rear shock adjustment-shock.jpg  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ventana
"right now I have them set to what I think is the lowest setting?? Or do I need to turn it the other way?"
Looks to me like you've got it set on the "softest" detent which is where you want to be if you're trying for a lower riding position - going the other way will firm up the suspension and keep the rear end up.
~

Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 831 Likes on 376 Posts

turning the preload adjuster all the way down will soften the ride a little. it'll sometimes allow about another 1.5in of sag when you sit on the bike so maybe it'll be enough. If not lowering blocks will work, but look like **** with that shock at such a hard angle to the rest of the bike. Save up for some good Progressive/Works/Ricor shocks in 11.5-12in length and you'll be happier and the ride will be alot better.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Speedhitter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottom adjustment is for dampening. The twisting part with the notches handles the shock load. I don't think you are going to get what you want out of those shocks. If your interested in getting rid of them let me know. I've got a 2001 FXDXT and got rid of mine years ago. Now that me and the wife are a little heavier I could use another set! lol! Larry

Old 07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

had the same problem man, im 6'1 with what seem to be short as heck legs so i just went for the progressive 412 rear shocks, dropped the bike quite a bit and still handles like a fxdx should..they are the lowest shocks you can get from progressive

**larry the 412 shocks are for heavier riders, little ridgid when solo (i leave them adjusted for two up) but amazing handling when me and the wife are both riding, im 195 and the wife is 125...just a thought

Last edited by fxdx-fly-by; 07-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, guys. I now hove some insight as to what to do. I'm gonna try out the setting for a while and see if it grows on me. If not, new shocks may be the answer. I love the bike. My only problem is the seat sits a little higher then other Dyna's. I have a brand new Mustang seat on it that I bought BEFORE I found out that i could have the old seat redone :-( I may wind up doing that also.

the fit is really close, just not perfect. I can stand with one foot planted solid on the ground and the other on the ball of my foot with my boots on. getting closer to making it "mine".

Quick Reply: Question: FXDXI - Rear shock adjustment