Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average Brake Life On Late Model Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to believe some of the mileages you guys have on OEM, bet you'd stop better if you replaced them. After a while you tend to get used to the way things are and ignore it. Likely don't realize how much foot your using to have to stop, until you replace the pads. $67.00 front and rear. Curious to know if these pads are like cars, in the sense they squeal when low.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still stop great. I apply more to front when stopping, and have to do many hard stops.

Just stopped hard recently for a red light while riding in a group this past weekend. Have not ahd any problems at all.

Admittidly, I engine brake a lot.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
09sporty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stev0n
i'm at 7.5k miles, about 5500 miles are mine since i bought it. both still have pad left but my rears aren't slowing the bike down a whole lot, so i'll be changing them soon.

i rarely use the fronts as i hate the front end dive.
You should buy a life insurance policy (big one) and a lottery ticket. like said before 75% front 25% rear.

i'm over 10K no brake changes yet, lots of wear left.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

i'm at 7.5k miles, about 5500 miles are mine since i bought it. both still have pad left but my rears aren't slowing the bike down a whole lot, so i'll be changing them soon.

i rarely use the fronts as i hate the front end dive.
If your front end dives enough to bother you then you need to get the springs looked at in the forks. Using the front brake should to create that much of a problem.

As stated earlier .... if you have loved ones and/or you do not have enough money to do your funeral buy life insurance asap.

In an emergency situation the back brakes will not help you stop very quickly. Example, I was in an emergency low down situation and I applied so much front and back break till my entire bike sunk down towards the pavement a lot. Very noticeable. If I did not use the front break I would have been hit.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

12.5k here and looked at the brakes today and have plenty of pad left. Mostly use front and light on the rear just for the record

Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 14,000 miles on mine and they have plenty left on them.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure they'll stop you, but I guarantee you are using more effort to do so. Mine look to be about 1/8" left.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM
goblin127
Tourer

12k here and the pads look like they will last for quite awhile 75 front and 25 rear has always worked for me also. I used to replace them years ago on my sport bikes before there time. A sqeeling brake pad is usually caused by the membrain on the back of the pad being worn away.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
markrumsfield
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And over-using the fronts can cause an emergency of their own.

I mainly used my fronts when i had midcontrols, until the front end dive caused a fork seal to blow.
Now with forwards i only use my front brakes to complete a stop a put my feet down, make sense?

I have used only my rear brakes in more than one emergency situation over the years.

I doubt front end dive caused your seal to blow, more likely your fork is bent and causing the seal to wear. I cant imagine trying to haul down a 600 pound bike with just the rear brakes. I used to ride sport bikes when I was a kid, and rarely touched the rears. With both my Harleys I find I need to use both front and rear, in the right amount to get the bike stoped in a hurry. No offense but you need to take an msf course or something to learn how to use your brakes because relying on the rear brake only is going eventualy get you in to trouble.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 AM
moonsfmc
Cruiser

I have 43K on my org. pads and still stopping..

Quick Reply: Average Brake Life On Late Model Dynas