Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopping up a fender, looking for opinions on the lines...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Chopping up a fender, looking for opinions on the lines...

I finally got around to cutting it last night. Here is my original thread from when I bought the fender.

This is what it looked like originally:

I liked some of the suggestions in that thread so I've been meaning to do it for awhile now. It's not even bolted down all the way in this pic... I just threw it on to see if I liked it. Gotta sand it up, re-align everything and then paint.

I think it looks better with the mullet looking flat edge shaved off the top. All I did was try to cut it out to show follow the rim edge a little more on the top and back edge of the fender:

Now last night my wife suggested I cut off the point on the bottom edge of the fender. I'm torn between leaving it alone or listening to her suggestion. I drew up two ideas for lines. Wondering what your opinions are:

Idea #1:
This one is basically to hack off the point and make it a bit more curved.

Idea #2:
This one is to take a bit more off, give it more drastic curve and make it match the rear fender slightly.

Keeping in mind the whole reason for getting this fender was more protection from the water spray and debris than that useless dirt bike fender provided. More I hack off the less protection but I think it'll be a minimal difference regardless of which option I try.

So what do you guys think? Leave it alone? Make one of the suggested cuts?

Last edited by trip20; 07-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The lower photo really is an improvement, but it was taken just a little too far. Back off just a little, following the outside line, so the apparent "thickness" (side view) remains more constant, w/ a lot smaller radius @ the bottom.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Gotcha -- keep the fender depth consistent around the entire radius, and less of a drastic radius at the bottom where I turn back to the tail of the fender. Good idea. Almost like "idea #1" in my post but with a little more attention to keeping the fender depth consistent.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Hey lo-rider, I think blueangel73 just about nailed it in his post in my original thread.

Ignore the red line but look at the curve/radius he has on the bottom. The black lines were Joe Knapp's suggestion and that's pretty much what I've done so far:

Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes.

Hold that line just a tiny bit longer, before blending it (much as you have shown) into the aft, bottom fender tip. Because the front fender is so much finer an element, that transition benefits from scaling down the similar feature on the back fender, keeping in mind that the outside profiles are quite drastically different (not angled back the same).

You have a good eye, and it is wise to take the time mocking things up, like this, then taping it off precisely as planned, so you can stand back and have a good look at it from many points of view.

Edit to add: Close. In this last photo, it clearly shows the impression that the inner line of the fender opening follows the wheel, and not the outside fender profile. Once that is corrected (follow outside profile, at bottom), appearance should improve.

Last edited by lo-rider; 07-06-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

One more thing from a very detailed perspective. I believe that the radius of the fender (especially front fenders) needs to follow the exact contour of the rim. Not saying it has to wrap the tire and follow the rim, just from a side view it needs to have the same profile/radius/contour as the rim...make sense? JMHO.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM
MacBean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

option 1 keeps the radius to long and option 2 cuts it off to quick. maybe half way in the middle of the two.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Well, if your going to cut it, I like option number 2.
Just do it quick, because I am in the same boat. I am about to buy a new front fender. I want a more fuller dressed unit and I'm searching for ideas. Your setup will be a big help. So, as they say.... chop chop.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master

Hey WYDEGLYDEBRY where did you get that fender and part number ?

it looks good

thx

Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
ltcurt33
Cruiser

+1 on following the lines of the rim a little more...

I don't mind the bottom of the fender with the point but it needs to have a more natural curve in it to look a little better...just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Chopping up a fender, looking for opinions on the lines...