Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting on new rush pipes today. tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011 | 10:44 AM
WideGlide_J
|
Intermediate
Default putting on new rush pipes today. tips?

my new rush slip ons with 2inch baffles come today. I tried to search the forum as best I can before posting but didn't really see anyone talkin about it... anyone have any insight/tips/possible issues removing the stock pipes and putting on the new rush's? is it as simple as it *should* be or are there problems I might run into? use existing brackets or no? bike has 350 miles on it, so its not like bolts will be rusted etc. thanks!

Old 07-05-2011 | 10:53 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Fairly simple/straightforward. As with many exhausts, you may need to wiggled the stock slip ons to persuade them to give up their grip. Careful you don't tip the bike. You may need to expand/open up the rush slip ons so they slide over the stock header pipes more easily. Many recommend using new clamps as the OEMs may break. I never had trouble but do have spare clamps. If you don't have a spare, you will be sure to break one There is a top and bottom muffler, should be obvious which one goes where. Make sure they slip on far enough to cover the slot. Clean them up before firing the bike up as fingerprints and such could get burned in permanently.

Tighten up and check bolts after first couple of runs.

They will get louder after 2 or 300 miles.

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-05-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2011 | 11:00 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior

Very easy install just make sure you use windex to wipe down the finger prints off the chrome before start up.

Old 07-05-2011 | 11:07 AM
WideGlide_J
|
Intermediate

awesome thanks guys. and I guess I'll try to keep the OEM clamps and if one breaks at I'll have the extra set. excited to hear how they sound, especially if it gets better after the first couple hundred miles. you're happy with them, yea?

Old 07-05-2011 | 11:13 AM
patrikr
Cruiser

The Rush slipons are great and really easy to put in with the instructions from previous posters. At first I thought the sound was perfect but after starting to ride more with a 3/4 helmet instead of FF I wish they were louder. I have the 2" baffles

Old 07-05-2011 | 11:57 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

permatex copper inside the slip on's before sliding them on, acts as a lubricant
and also seals when dry also dont tighten the rear bolts until you know you have
the pipes exactly where you want them. i did the clamps first and then the rear
bolts

i also reused my clamps, done it 3 times different bikes now and have not had any problems, torqued to 65lbs... maybe i was just lucky

Old 07-05-2011 | 12:07 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by WideGlide_J
my new rush slip ons with 2inch baffles come today. I tried to search the forum as best I can before posting but didn't really see anyone talkin about it... anyone have any insight/tips/possible issues removing the stock pipes and putting on the new rush's? is it as simple as it *should* be or are there problems I might run into? use existing brackets or no? bike has 350 miles on it, so its not like bolts will be rusted etc. thanks!
As all have said. Very simple job. When i put mine on it took 30 min and i reused my clamps. I figured mine only had 100 or so miles on the bike before installing them. I only had them on for about 500 miles since they are pretty tame. Again sounded great at 1st but after starting it in the begining of this riding season i thought it sounded stock again. If i knew better i would of saved the 300 bucks i spent on new ones and just bought a full system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO7sL...el_video_title

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:01 PM
lazy eye
Cruiser

I just put a set of used 2" slip ons on my Fat Bob and I love the way they sound. It's so easy to do, I didn't even need instructions. Just reverse the steps you took when removing the stock mufflers.

As an aside, I do notice what seems to be a loss in torque. Is this to be expected when changing from stock mufflers to something like these? Will I get my torque back when I change the AC and do a Stage 1?

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:10 PM
WideGlide_J
|
Intermediate

dude from that video, the pipes sound great! I dont need it excessively loud, I just want that deep rumble and to be able to actually hear it on the road.. the stock pipes just whisper... I've read on the other posts that with the 2in baffles, I can leave everything else stock... stock aircleaner, no fuel download or anything.. right?

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:10 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by WideGlide_J
dude from that video, the pipes sound great! I dont need it excessively loud, I just want that deep rumble and to be able to actually hear it on the road.. the stock pipes just whisper... I've read on the other posts that with the 2in baffles, I can leave everything else stock... stock aircleaner, no fuel download or anything.. right?

your right you won't need a download/remap tuner or whatever fuel management unless you do something with your air filter

Quick Reply: putting on new rush pipes today. tips?