Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighter socket position & wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:17 AM
Deadwood
|
Cruiser
Default Lighter socket position & wiring

Just curious if anyone has wired up a lighter/accessory socket to their Dyna to run GPS etc. My aim is to run my phone as it comes with GPS and I can use the mp3 player with head phones of course. I will make up a mount.

Where did you mount it and where did you wire it in to? Hopefully someone with a Dyna around the year 2000 can help out. Cheers.

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:38 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deadwood
Just curious if anyone has wired up a lighter/accessory socket to their Dyna to run GPS etc. My aim is to run my phone as it comes with GPS and I can use the mp3 player with head phones of course. I will make up a mount.

Where did you mount it and where did you wire it in to? Hopefully someone with a Dyna around the year 2000 can help out. Cheers.
I just mounted it right below the seat with the wires going straight to the battery. This also where I plug the Battery Tender into. I made a simple 16 ga bracket that bolted under the seat.

Old 07-05-2011 | 01:42 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Here's what the bracket looks like and where I mounted it. The cut-out was made to clear the seat bumper.

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:34 AM
lexington
Novice

I am looking at the same thing on my 2011 FXDC. Sometimes a lighter socket will vibrated around while riding and on my KLR650, the gps would vibrate on and off, so I wired it. Under the seat of my Super Glide, there is a Customer Accessory plug that is pulled out for you already fused. You can look up the part nos. for the female part in this forum and it only costs about 20 bucks. They even have an adapter for two accessories that plugs right in.

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:50 AM
Bspike1
Road Captain

I have one something like this that I got @ O'Reilly's for 3 or 4 bucks. Plugs into the
battery tender plug.

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:55 AM
Deadwood
|
Cruiser

Thanks guys. Wondering if anyone has mounted one infront of the tank somewhere? Only asking as I would be plugging in a phone charger and not hard wiring a GPS unit.

HemiOrange, that looks like a great idea and thanks for the photo's, do you use the socket for anything and where do you run the lead if you want to use GPS (or similar)?

Bspike1, my bike doesn't have a battery tender unfortunately, I would need to wire something or splice into a live wire.

Last edited by Deadwood; 07-05-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2011 | 04:23 AM
Bspike1
Road Captain

make it easy on yourself. get the battery tender and this plug. unplug it when you don't need it. It's what I use to charge my phone, run a GPS, etc...

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:58 AM
Bspike1
Road Captain

here's an old post that shows what I have. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...cig-adapt.html

Old 07-05-2011 | 05:32 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bspike1
make it easy on yourself. get the battery tender and this plug. unplug it when you don't need it. It's what I use to charge my phone, run a GPS, etc...
I agree. I got a battery tender, and the lead tucks away between the seat and the top of the battery cover when not in use.

Under $25 at Amazon, and comes with the battery lead. After you install that, you can make up plugs for pretty much anything. You can route an extension under your tank to the front, and you can plug in a lighter socket like the one shown above.

They also make various extensions for different accessories, so you should have several choices on how you want to set it up. I have a GPS extension, with mini-USB for my Garmin GPS. Now that I have the 2" tank lift from Jackyl, it will be very easy to drill a hole in the tank lift bracket to mount a discrete lighter socket.

Old 07-05-2011 | 07:00 AM
theoneandonlyhoppy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bspike1
I have one something like this that I got @ O'Reilly's for 3 or 4 bucks. Plugs into the
battery tender plug.
I use this same set up. Works with my electric clothes in the winter too.

Quick Reply: Lighter socket position & wiring