Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighter socket position & wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:45 AM
purvissp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted a Kuryakin Power Point on my bars for my GPS, works great.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...ower-Point.htm

I just loosened and raised the tank a little and the taped the Kuryakin connector to a 1/8" dowel and shoved it under the tank, then pulled it through and connected it to the battery terminal. Hooking it up this way the power port is hot all of the time and the GPS does not go off when you shut the ignition off.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This has worked out well for me, all parts from AutoZone.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Deadwood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might go down the battery tender path I think, thanks for the input guys.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadwood
HemiOrange, that looks like a great idea and thanks for the photo's, do you use the socket for anything and where do you run the lead if you want to use GPS (or similar)?
My bike didn't come with connector for a battery tender, so I mounted the lighter socket and bought a lighter socket adapter for my battery tender. So far I just use it that way. As lexington mentioned, these things aren't the best connectors for the road, but I don't use a GPS or any electronics on the road.

The normal battery tender type plug will probably be your best bet. I'd run it under the tank to the front of the frame. You can just zip-tie it on the left side of the steering neck, directly under the tank mount, to the same frame mount as the tank vent hose uses.

You should be able to fish it through with a coat hanger by just removing the gas tank's rear mounting bolts, tilting the tank forward and pulling it through from front to rear.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 18" SAE to Cig lighter from Powerlet. Click Here.

It's long enough to run from my batter tender pig tail up under my tank and up by the steering head.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Power Point

Originally Posted by purvissp
I mounted a Kuryakin Power Point on my bars for my GPS, works great.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...ower-Point.htm

I just loosened and raised the tank a little and the taped the Kuryakin connector to a 1/8" dowel and shoved it under the tank, then pulled it through and connected it to the battery terminal. Hooking it up this way the power port is hot all of the time and the GPS does not go off when you shut the ignition off.
Not to criticize your set but a couple of comments. First, what is the speaker looking thing between the power point and the front brake reservoir ?
Second, have you ridden in the rain with that receptacle pointed straight up ?
Seem to me that would drive the water down to the contact points and blow the fuse...

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Deadwood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easier than I thought. Bought the battery tender plug/connector which was an extension cable so it had one at either end. Cut the wires, wired up an inline fuse folder with a 10a fuse then crimped some circular elec fittings, one to the battery and one to the earth/negative. Ran the lighter socket wiring under the tank and wired up the other battery tender connector and voila, roberts ya mothers brother. 20 minute job. Just waiting on the phone cradle/mount from eBay and then I'm done.

Thanks everyone for the idea's. I feel the battery tender idea was the cheapest, easiest and best install method.

Last edited by Deadwood; 07-07-2011 at 04:08 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 07-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Bspike1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool deal

Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Tarbaby
Advanced
Default Road King Power Outlett

If I could get this damn thing to load a picture, I have a bracket that I made to mount 12v power outlet on the sloped panel just in front of my right side cover. Harley power outlet comes with templete to drill a hole in the side cover. Thats bullshit. I will try again to upload a pic.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
KevenW
Tourer

i went with the kuryakyn cig socket, it looks awesome I think. I got the 1 1/4" one and put it on the top bar of my lindby linbar right up by my frame. ran the wire under the tank and back right in front of my battery, where my battery tender plug comes out of the battery. the kuryakyn has the same plug on it as the battery tender so I can just plug the cig socket into it when I need to.

Quick Reply: Lighter socket position & wiring