Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will adding air stop popping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:51 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Was the popping reduced at all? I can live with it the way it is now for awhile, but I'm just thinking the AC would have some effect until I'm ready to get a proper tune.
The XIED's worked fine in a stock configuration but it wasn't running right until the tuner.
Save yourself some time and aggravation by saving until you can get a good tuner. Well worth the money.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did some research on circuit to the XIED. It appears to be a fuel enrichment which bypasses the O2 sensors and provides you with more fuel. I did not see anything about an ability for tuning your engine at various rpm levels.

An exhaust leak would not cause the popping you describe. An exhaust leak just produces a path for your exhaust gases to escape. You would see a black spot at the leak.

Are your pipe black? This would show your fuel mixture is too rich and then you might get popping due to too much fuel in your mufflers lighting off once you close the throttle. Also, in the same manner, if your fuel management is to lean and you cut the throttle, at that point you should have enough fuel left in the exhaust to light off due to excess heat by being to lean which is probably the case.

A Stage I, by the dealer, should help. But, a Sert, PC Commander, ThunderMax, or another fuel management device would be better. I know about costs and about what sound you want. You want a Harley that sounds like a Harley and not like a Honda. My original Screaming Eagle exhaust when I did my Stage I sounded like a moped and I was really disappointed, but my bike ran well. Only after putting on the SEII mufflers with BCT baffles did I get the sound, but I also got a lot of popping which sounded like a shotgun going off. I thought I was running way too rich since my exhaust was black, but at the tuners I found it to be dangerously close to being way, way to lean.

Try putting your original mufflers back on. If the problem goes away, you can eliminate an exhaust leak theory. A more restrictive exhaust will cure the "too lean" condition.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NELS
The XIED's worked fine in a stock configuration but it wasn't running right until the tuner.
Save yourself some time and aggravation by saving until you can get a good tuner. Well worth the money.
I think you're right. Since I'll need it anyway, I'm going to order the Stage 1 kit and a smooth chrome cover. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys.