Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will adding air stop popping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O-Town D
My signature shows what I run on my F-Bob. I get some slight decel popping every now and then, sometimes on a cold start, sometimes on a warm start. Changed exh gaskets and muff clamps, torqued and re-torqued, intermittent popping still occurs. Spark plugs are off-white/tanish. I just live with it.
~
Thanks. I can live with what you are describing. It would be nice if I get by with the AC and XIED's cause the lower engine temp was noticeable with them.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrants82
"Agreed but I would still check the exhaust nuts first because they can loosen all by themselves."
Exactly - so I use "jam" nuts against the exh nuts to minimize/eliminate the loosening.
~

Old 07-04-2011, 03:43 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

O-Town D, I love the look of your bike. I've been fancying the S&S air cleaner for my bike but read a couple of older posts that suggested there maybe an issue with it touching the tank on Dynas. Have you had any issues with using it or installing it?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:40 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

"I've been fancying the S&S air cleaner for my bike but read a couple of older posts that suggested there maybe an issue with it touching the tank on Dynas. Have you had any issues with using it or installing it?"

Thanks, Shaw - you've got a great ride, too!
I installed the S&S Kit #17-0450, and it fits the F-Bob with no problems. As mounted there is about 1/2 inch (12MM) space between the A/C cover and the tank, and I've had no rubbing anywhere, at idle or on the road. See attached thumbnails.
If you choose the same A/C you should not have any problems either. Hope that helps - ride safe!
~

Attached Thumbnails Will adding air stop popping?-s-and-s-back-plate.jpg   Will adding air stop popping?-s-and-s-filter.jpg   Will adding air stop popping?-s-and-s-blkout.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

this is only a guess but I have heard just about everyone say that decel popping got worse when they changed mufflers or pipes. My stock pipes are just plain plugged up. With the cats and the super quiet stock mufflers. when you get a louder pipe muffler set up Im guessing that the louder pipes just don't quiet the decel popping that you didn't hear with the stockers but that was probably still there to some extent. Louder pipes , more noise , more pop. Just a thought.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:50 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like you are lean and need to add fuel, not air. It could be leaking from the exhaust flange or the connection for the slip on's. I like to use ultra copper where the slip on's attach for a good seal. Drew Drew

Old 07-04-2011, 05:21 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by O-Town D
"I've been fancying the S&S air cleaner for my bike but read a couple of older posts that suggested there maybe an issue with it touching the tank on Dynas. Have you had any issues with using it or installing it?"

Thanks, Shaw - you've got a great ride, too!
I installed the S&S Kit #17-0450, and it fits the F-Bob with no problems. As mounted there is about 1/2 inch (12MM) space between the A/C cover and the tank, and I've had no rubbing anywhere, at idle or on the road. See attached thumbnails.
If you choose the same A/C you should not have any problems either. Hope that helps - ride safe!
~
Thanks. Thats a really helpful post and that air cleaner looks great. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM
11bDad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
It sounds like you are lean and need to add fuel, not air. It could be leaking from the exhaust flange or the connection for the slip on's. I like to use ultra copper where the slip on's attach for a good seal. Drew Drew
There are no exhaust leaks. Everything has been checked. I cranked it up in my garage at night with the lights off, covered the headlight, and checked both pipes from one end to the other with a cigarette and a flashlight. With the XIED's the popping is worse.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 PM
The Dean
Road Master

I have the same setup and it run perfect. I have not changed the AC because of how it runs now. I went with the VIEDS and set them at 13.8 and never changed them. Are you running 91+ octane?

Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM
11bDad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by The Dean
I have the same setup and it run perfect. I have not changed the AC because of how it runs now. I went with the VIEDS and set them at 13.8 and never changed them. Are you running 91+ octane?
Always

Quick Reply: Will adding air stop popping?